Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Appellate court overturns judgement in teen baseball player's death

TAMPA — A six-figure judgement against a local doctor has been overturned after a Florida appeals court ruled that two grieving parents did not prove that a Tampa doctor's actions caused their son's death.

In 2011, a jury awarded the parents of an Alonso High School baseball player about $800,000. Their son, 17-year-old Matthew Miulli, collapsed during a preseason workout in 2005, and jurors put some of the blame on the teenager's physician, Dr. Erwin Shartz, and HealthPoint Medical Group.

But if last week's decision by the 2nd District Court of Appeal becomes final, those parties will no longer have to pay.

Before that happens, the Miullis' attorney has a chance to ask for a re-hearing. On Friday, attorney Stuart Markman said he plans to do so. He declined to discuss the case further since it is still open.

In January 2005, Miulli collapsed while walking on a track. He was declared dead at a hospital from congenital aortic valve disease.

Shartz had cleared the young man to play baseball in August 2004 — even though he had an existing heart condition. The doctor later testified that Kathy Miulli told him that her son had recently seen a cardiologist.

The day after the appointment, Shartz called the cardiologist, who said the teen had not been examined in two years. Shartz immediately revoked Matthew Miulli's authorization to play baseball but did not get through to the Miullis, despite leaving seven voice messages and sending two letters.

During the 2011 trial, a doctor testifying for the family said that because Shartz did not get in touch with the family, he failed to provide adequate care. He should have "closed the loop," the physician testified.

However, in its June 28 opinion, the appellate court said the testifying physician, Dr. Randy Wertheimer, was not a cardiologist and also did not have evidence that Shartz's failure to reach the family caused the boy's death.

"No one testified that Matthew would not have participated in baseball conditioning had Dr. Shartz 'closed the loop,' " the opinion states.

The Miullis did not testify that they would have taken their son to a cardiologist or forbidden him from going to conditioning, the opinion states.

"Matthew possibly could have lived had Dr. Shartz refused to sign the sports medical release or had he confirmed that the Miullis understood he had revoked his authorization," it states. "But possibly is not the standard."

Matthew Miulli loved baseball. His bedroom was a shrine to the Chicago Cubs. His parents buried him in his hometown of Chicago so that he would be closer to Wrigley Field.

His death raised questions about requirements for school sports and spurred the state to mandate that schools have defibrillators at sporting events.

Attorney Roland Lamb, who represents Shartz and HealthPoint, said he was pleased with the appellate court's decision. His clients had not paid the Miullis and do not plan to now.

"I think it's the appropriate disposition of the case," Lamb said. "I anticipated it, and I'm pleased with the result."

He added that he and his clients sympathize with the Miullis.

"Obviously, it's a terrible situation for them. I'm sure this will make them relive some of it, and I'm very sorry about that."

Jessica Vander Velde can be reached at jvandervelde@tampabay.com or (813) 226-3433.

Appellate court overturns judgement in teen baseball player's death 07/05/13 [Last modified: Monday, July 8, 2013 9:42am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Gov. Scott says decisions on Confederate monuments should be left to the democratic 'process'

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott this morning avoided directly answering whether Confederate monuments should be taken down, saying the decision should be part of a democratic "process."

    Workers place boards around a Confederate monument on Hillsborough County property in Tampa on Thursday, August 17, 2017. It took 24 hours to raise private funds in order to move the statue from its current location.
  2. A 5,000-year-old stone carving may be the world's first drawing of an eclipse

    Space

    An unassuming grass-covered stone mound outside of Dublin, Ireland, may be home to the world's oldest visual representation of a solar eclipse.

    This 5,000-year-old stone carving in Meath, Ireland, predating Stonehenge by at least 1,000 years, may be the world's oldest surviving depiction of an eclipse. [Courtesy of Michael Fox-Boynevalleytours.com]
  3. Ex-Bucs WR Vincent Jackson highlights Kriseman's pick for Manhattan Casino restaurant

    Blogs

    Mayor Rick Kriseman picked a Floribbean-themed restaurant to highlight turning a new page in the historic Manhattan Casino, which has been shuttered for more than a year after the city …

    Kriseman makes his choice on a new tenant for the iconic Manhattan Casino: Floribbean cuisine
  4. Man arrested after authorities say he left kids in hot car at Publix

    Public Safety

    ZEPHYRHILLS — A Wesley Chapel man faces charges of child neglect after authorities say he left three children in a vehicle in the afternoon heat while he went into Publix to buy diapers.

    Oladele Iyunade
  5. Gradebook podcast: On hate speech at UF, and education reform in the Florida Legislature

    Blogs

    National events hit Florida hard this week, as the white nationalist group at the center of violent protests in Virginia worked to cement plans for a rally in Tally. Uni …