Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Estate of worker killed in building collapse files lawsuit against Progress Energy

ST. PETERSBURG — The estate of a 65-year-old welder killed last summer in a Weedon Island building collapse is suing Progress Energy, which owned the old power plant.

Clark White of West Virginia was part of a crew hired to demolish the 180-foot-tall structure, which collapsed June 9 about an hour prematurely.

White, a married father, grandfather and Army veteran, was trapped inside and died of blunt trauma, authorities said.

In a wrongful death civil suit filed Dec. 30 in Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Court, a representative of White's estate said Progress Energy was negligent both before and during the demolition process.

According to the claim, Progress Energy didn't do an engineering study before the demolition began, didn't conduct inspections during the demolition, failed to realize or ignored that parts of the structure were becoming weakened and allowed workers to continue working.

Progress Energy spokesman Tim Leljedal released this statement Friday night: "We are reviewing the suit and while our company policy doesn't allow us to comment on pending legal matters such as this, our thoughts continue to be with the family of Mr. White."

White worked for New York-based subcontractor Frontier Industrial Corp., hired by Progress Energy. Earlier this week, Frontier said it paid a $7,300 settlement to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, which had cited the company for two safety violations.

The lawsuit, which seeks damages in excess of $15,000, said Progress Energy "guided, directed and had control over the demolition" at each stage.

"We look forward to letting the investigation run its course and having responsibility placed at the doors of those at fault," P.J. Ondeck, White's daughter, said.

Kameel Stanley can be reached at kstanley@tampabay.com or (727) 893-8643.

Estate of worker killed in building collapse files lawsuit against Progress Energy 01/06/12 [Last modified: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:34am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Air bag recalls, lawsuits lead Takata to file for bankruptcy

    Autos

    Shattered by recall costs and lawsuits, Japanese air bag maker Takata Corp. filed Monday for bankruptcy protection in Tokyo and the U.S., saying it was the only way it could keep on supplying replacements for faulty air bag inflators linked to the deaths of at least 16 people.

    Japanese air bag maker Takata Corp. CEO Shigehisa Takada bows during a press conference in Tokyo on Monday. Takata has filed for bankruptcy protection in Tokyo and the U.S., overwhelmed by lawsuits and recall costs related to its production of defective air bag inflators.
[(AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi]
  2. Philando Castile family reaches $3 million settlement in death

    Crime

    MINNEAPOLIS — The mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist killed by a Minnesota police officer last year, has reached a nearly $3 million settlement in his death, according to an announcement Monday by her attorneys and the Minneapolis suburb that employed the officer.

    A handout dashboard camera image of Officer Jeronimo Yanez firing at Philando Castile during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights, Minn., July 6, 2016. [Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension via The New York Times]
  3. From the food editor: Almond-Crusted Chicken Tenders

    Cooking

    I decided my almond chicken obsession was becoming a bit much.

    Almond Crusted Chicken Tenders. Photo by Michelle Stark, Times food editor.
  4. Forecast: Soggy, yet hot, workweek ahead across Tampa Bay

    Weather

    A soggy workweek is ahead across Tampa Bay as decent chances for scattered storms remain consistent over the next several days.

    Tampa Bay's 7 day forecast. [WTSP]
  5. Travel ban, Kennedy retirement speculation the focus as Supreme Court prepares for break

    Courts

    WASHINGTON — Before taking their long summer break, the Supreme Court justices are poised to act on the Trump administration's travel ban and a separation of church and state dispute involving a Missouri church playground.

    Justice Anthony Kennedy, shown in 2007, has given no public sign that he would step down this year and give President Donald Trump his second high court pick in the first months of his administration. Kennedy's departure would allow conservatives to take firm control of the court. [Associated Press]