Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Parents of a girl who was killed in a collapsed culvert in April file a lawsuit

The parents of an 11-year-old girl who died after being buried in a sandy culvert near her Spring Hill home have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the homeowners association and property manager.

A lawyer representing the family said he also plans to name Hernando County as a co-defendant.

"So far, everyone's denying liability, so I'm just seeking justice," Tampa attorney Joseph Diaco said on Wednesday.

In April, Brittany Saavedra, a fifth-grader at J.D. Floyd Elementary School, and friends were digging tunnels in a sandy retention area near Braemere Drive when one collapsed on Brittany's head.

Rescue workers found her unresponsive, and she was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The claim, filed Friday, seeks unspecified damages for negligence.

Diaco said the lawsuit is not about money, but acknowledged he expects to ask for "well into the seven figures" if it goes to a jury.

"How do you compensate the family who lost their 11-year-old girl?" he asked. "If simple steps had been taken … this accident never would have happened."

The lawsuit suggests that the Sterling Hill Homeowners Association and Franklin & Company Property Management should have done more to warn about the dangers of the retention area, which was a popular play spot for children. Diaco said the dangerous conditions existed for at least six months, but no signs, warnings or fences were posted.

The day Mitchell Saavedra's daughter died, he told a Times reporter that he wondered why those areas weren't fenced off.

"I'm not normally an advocate for stuff … but this boggles my mind," he said. "There's got to be a way to make those things safer."

Diaco said the property is partially the responsibility of the county. He filed a notice weeks ago with the county announcing he intended to sue, but must wait six months before filing the official papers.

Reached Wednesday, an official with the property management company declined to comment.

John Frank can be reached at jfrank@sptimes.com or (352) 754-6114.

Parents of a girl who was killed in a collapsed culvert in April file a lawsuit 10/15/08 [Last modified: Friday, October 17, 2008 6:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Pinellas licensing board needs cash. Will the county give it any?

    Local Government

    LARGO –– The grand jury that said Pinellas County should not take over the troubled construction licensing board also said the county should bail out the agency before it goes broke in 2018.

    Pinellas County Commission chair Janet Long isn't keen on the idea of the county loaning money to keep the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board afloat. The county has no say over the independent agency, which could run out of funding in 2018. [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]
  2. Is the Bundt cake back? How retro baked goods are becoming trendy again

    Cooking

    Once there were grunts and slumps, buckles and brown betties. Oh, and pandowdies and sonkers. In the olden days, people routinely made angel food cakes, tomato soup cakes and hummingbird cakes. These were not Duncan Hines mixes, but rather confections made from scratch following yellowed and stained recipes in your …

    Nothing Bundt Cakes in Tampa offers a variety of options, from tiny “bundtinis” and 10-inch cakes that serve 18 to 20 people. Core flavors include lemon, marble, red velvet and chocolate-chocolate chip, with featured flavors like confetti.
  3. What you need to know for Monday, Sept. 25

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Craig Butz, executive director of Pepin Academies and former professional hockey player, died in a crash with a boat Saturday. His daughter Teagan, 4, remained in critical condition Sunday afternoon. [WILL VRAGOVIC   |   TIMES, 2013]
  4. Two boys in critical condition after Largo crash

    Accidents

    LARGO — A 7-year-old boy was thrown from a car in a head-on crash on Starkey Road, and both he and a 6-year-old boy were in critical condition Sunday night, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

  5. Trump's new order bars almost all travel from seven countries

    National

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Sunday issued a new order banning almost all travel to the United States from seven countries, including most of the nations covered by his original travel ban, citing threats to national security posed by letting their citizens into the country.

    President Donald Trump speaks to reporters Sunday upon his return to the White House in Washington.