Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

South Florida private prison plan back in court

TALLAHASSEE — While the state largely has abandoned its push to privatize 29 South Florida prisons, lawyers were back in court Wednesday arguing if the Legislature was right to hatch the plan at all.

The issue: whether lawmakers were allowed to propose the massive privatization through last-minute budget language called proviso — a process that bypasses the Legislature's long-standing committee structure.

"This is a gross misuse of proviso power," M. Stephen Turner, an attorney for the Florida Police Benevolent Association, told a three-judge panel in the 1st District Court of Appeal.

Last year, Leon County Circuit Judge Jackie Fulford blocked the state from shifting 4,000 public correctional officers to private companies, saying the Legislature should have passed a stand-alone bill rather than use budget fine print to achieve its aims.

That ruling all but killed the privatization plan, which expires Saturday when a new budget year begins.

That fact left Judges Nikki Ann Clark, Ronald Swanson and Chief Judge Robert Benton hesitant to wade into what they called a "moot case."

Attorneys argued, however, that the ruling could shape future behavior of the top lawmakers who craft the state the budget.

In this case, the Legislature's action was particularly "heinous," Turner argued, because Gov. Rick Scott couldn't impose a veto, even if he'd wanted to.

"He would have had to veto the entire (Department of Corrections) budget," Turner said.

Scott has supported privatizing prisons, including a failed effort last legislative session involving 27 prisons and work camps in 18 counties.

Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Glogau, arguing for Attorney General Pam Bondi, asked the judges to overturn Fulford's ruling and uphold the Legislature's ability to determine its own proviso language.

Judges may not rule at all if they decide Bondi lacked the right to appeal the case after the Department of Corrections declined to do so. The attorney general's office could have asked the circuit court for permission to appeal but did not.

"The attorney general has the broad power to appear for this case if there's a public interest," Glogau argued.

Turner replied, "In this case, the attorney general is not protecting the public, she's protecting the Legislature."

Brittany Alana Davis can be reached at 850-224-7263 or [email protected]

South Florida private prison plan back in court 06/27/12 [Last modified: Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:05am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Justin Timberlake in Super Bowl halftime show for first time since 'wardrobe malfunction'

    Celebrities

    Justin Timberlake has finally been invited back to the Super Bowl halftime show, 14 years after the "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson caused a national controversy.

    Singer Janet Jackson covers her breast as Justin Timberlake holds part of her costume after her outfit came undone during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston in 2004. The NFL announced Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017, that Timberlake will headline the Super Bowl halftime show Feb. 4 in Minnesota, 14 years after the "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson cause a national controversy. [Associated Press]
  2. Here's what happened when 30 high school sophomores gave up their phones for a day

    K12

    LUTZ — They were everywhere at Steinbrenner High School. Teens with panic-stricken faces, furiously slapping one thigh, then the other.

    Grace Hayes, 15, left, and Kai'Rey Lewis, 15, talk and text friends after having a discussion about smartphone technology in Tiffany Southwell's English Literature class at Steinbrenner High last week. Southwell asked theme to give up their phones for a day and write about it. For Lewis, the ride home that day "was the longest bus ride in my life." [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Cuban media treats visit by Tampa City Council as historic event

    Politics

    TAMPA — Delegations of one kind or another have been traveling from Tampa to Cuba for years, even before President Barack Obama took steps to normalize relations between the two countries in December 2014.

    A Tampa delegation to Cuba this week was featured prominently in reports by the state-run media in Cuba, including Granma. From left are Tampa City Council vice chair Harry Cohen, St. Petersburg City Council Chair Darden Rice, Tampa philanthropist David Straz and Tampa City Council Chair Yolie Capin.
  4. As the curtain rises on the Straz Center's biggest shows, the spotlight is on parking

    Transportation

    TAMPA — The Broadway Series, the most lucrative shows of the year for the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts, start this week, and this year the center wants all the drama to take place on stage, not during the drive to the theater.

    With downtown Tampa getting busier at night and on weekends, city officials and administrators from the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts have been working on ways to unsnarl traffic and help visitors find parking when there are lots of events at the same time. CHRIS ZUPPA   |   Times (2009)

  5. OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times 
Casimar Naiboa pleads for help to capture the killer of his son, Anthony Naiboa. Naiboa, 20, was shot and killed near 15th Street N. and E. Frierson Avenue after getting off the wrong bus in Seminole Heights. A peaceful march that began on east New Orleans Avenue was held during the candlelight vigil for the three victims who were killed in the recent shootings in the Seminole Heights neighborhood in Tampa on Sunday, October 22, 2017.