Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa woman files wrongful death claim for sister killed in Navy Yard shooting

Patricia DeLorenzo, 38, with attorney Sidney Matthew, said her older sister was the matriarch of the family.

DAN SULLIVAN | Times

Patricia DeLorenzo, 38, with attorney Sidney Matthew, said her older sister was the matriarch of the family.

TAMPA — A Tampa woman whose sister was one of 12 people killed Sept. 16 in the shootings at the Washington Navy Yard has filed a federal wrongful-death claim with the U.S. Navy and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Tallahassee lawyer Sidney Matthew announced the claim, which seeks $37.5 million from the U.S. Navy and the Department of Veterans Affairs, in a news conference Friday at Tampa's Marriott Waterside Hotel.

Matthew is representing Patricia DeLorenzo, whose sister, Mary Francis DeLorenzo Knight, was a naval cyber security specialist and one of 12 people killed in the shootings.

"This is unlike other shooting cases," Matthew said. "This case is not about gun control. This is about negligence. After 9/11, there is no excuse for not sharing the intelligence and not allowing the government to connect the dots."

The shooting was carried out by 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, a civilian contractor for the Navy with a troubled personal history, who was shot and killed by police. Alexis had been investigated multiple times in connection with gun-related violence and had shown signs of mental illness as recently as August.

That month, Rhode Island police encountered Alexis, who complained he was hearing voices, being followed and kept awake by people sending vibrations into his body through a microwave machine. A report of the incident was sent to Navy officials, but it did not prevent him from being transferred to Washington, D.C., where he used a valid security pass to access the Navy Yard. He had also sought care from the Department of Veterans Affairs for insomnia and post-traumatic stress disorder, but was not committed.

All of that, Matthew said, should have been enough for the Navy to take away access to its facilities. He should have been checked for weapons beforehand, just as visitors are before entering most federal buildings in Washington, the attorney said.

"This is like letting a rattlesnake into your tent," Matthew said.

The administrative claim is a preliminary step before the official filing of a federal lawsuit.

Ms. Knight, 51, lived in Reston, Va., but had previously lived in Tampa, where her sister still resides. She left behind two daughters: Danielle Knight, 20, and Nicole Jackson, 25.

Addressing reporters Friday, Patricia DeLorenzo, 38, spoke through tears about her older sister, whom she described as the matriarch of the family.

"She was the smartest, brightest person I knew. She was always 10 steps ahead of everybody else," DeLorenzo said. "My sister would want for me to fight for her and fight for the girls."

Knight wrote as much in a letter attached to her will dated Dec. 11, 2007, Matthew said.

"Nobody else needs to die because the Navy doesn't follow proper procedures of security," he said. "Even the secretary of defense, Chuck Hagel, admits that mistakes were made, that red flags were flying."

Tampa woman files wrongful death claim for sister killed in Navy Yard shooting 11/08/13 [Last modified: Friday, November 8, 2013 11:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. James Wilder Jr. back at running back...in Canada

    Blogs

    Remember when former Plant High star and Florida State running back James Wilder Jr. announced he was switching to linebacker?

    That was short-lived, apparently.

  2. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas construction licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. What you need to know for Tuesday, June 27

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Former St. Petersburg mayor and current mayoral candidate Rick Baker, left, and St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman square off tonight in a debate. [Times]
  4. Once 'angry' about Obamacare, Republican David Jolly came to see it as 'safety net'

    Blogs

    Former Congressman David Jolly, who ran against Obamacare in 2013, said in an interview Monday night that he now considers it a "safety net."

  5. Five children hospitalized after chlorine release at Tampa pool store

    Accidents

    Five children were sickened at a pool store north of Tampa on Monday after a cloud of chlorine was released, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.