Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

After night in jail, 14-year-old testifies he saw 2007 Clearwater murder

LARGO — As a grieving mother, Terria Moore knows there will be no more birthday celebrations for her son, Michael Scott. No Christmases or Fourth of Julys with Scott brandishing his huge smile.

But Moore, 53, found some solace Wednesday in hearing the details from a doctor and a rescue worker about how her 23-year-old son died in an Oct. 8, 2007, shooting in Clearwater's North Greenwood community.

"Michael died at the scene like the fireman said," Moore said. "That released me. He died instantly. He didn't suffer."

It was the first time she had heard that information.

She was among the spectators who crowded a small Pinellas-Pasco Circuit courtroom on the second day of the murder trial for Allan Troi Burney, 21, the man accused of killing her son and wounding another of her sons, Antonio Scott.

Burney, co-creator of a DVD series dubbed the Da Hood Gone Wild, is charged with second-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder in the second degree and shooting at, within, or into a vehicle.

A second man, Gaylord Shaw, 20, faces a second-degree murder charge and shooting at, within, or into a vehicle in the same incident. He will be tried at a later date.

Judge Joseph A. Bulone dismissed the jury of four women and two men about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday because the state's final witness was stuck in another murder trial in Sarasota. Testimony is due to resume at 10 a.m. today with the state's last witness.

Burney's attorney, Ngozi Acholonu, declined to disclose how long the defense's case would last or whether Burney would take the witness stand.

Earlier on Wednesday, 14-year-old Sylvester Brown, dressed in a gray jump suit, swirled in his chair and twirled his hair between his fingers as he sat on the witness stand in courtroom No. 9.

He looked angry. He looked scared. He was emotional. His mother, Rennae Ranson, 35, said her son was "scared to death" to testify.

"They told him that he would be sent to jail for a year if he didn't (testify)," Ranson said. "We have to remember, he was 12 when all this happened. He was scared when he first spoke with police then."

After refusing to testify Tuesday in the murder trial, Brown was held overnight in jail and faced contempt of court charges.

"Sylvester did not like his night in jail and is willing to complete his testimony," state prosecutor David Tobiassen said Wednesday morning.

On the stand, Brown reluctantly described what he saw Oct. 8, 2007, in Clearwater's North Greenwood community.

The shooting took place about 12:45 p.m. at N Betty Lane and Springdale Street after two groups of young men, who had been feuding for several weeks, got into a fight in a convenience store parking lot.

Brown said that Burney and Shaw were at his Springdale Street home that day. After the altercation started, Brown said he saw Burney run inside the house and into a bedroom, where he pulled a Mac 11 gun from under a bed.

When asked how he could identify such a weapon, he said he saw it in a gun book.

Then Brown said he walked to the front door and witnessed the shooting that killed Michael Scott and seriously wounded his brother, Antonio.

He said after the shooting, he saw Burney give the gun to another man and that then Brown and Shaw took a cab to Dunedin.

Brown also testified that he and Shaw met up with Burney at a home on Jade Street. He said Burney made the comment: "I hope that n----- dead."

When the statement was made, Moore held her face in her hands and sobbed.

Police never recovered a weapon in the shooting.

Burney and childhood friend Cortez Hearns created Da Hood Gone Wild series, which chronicled what they called the reality of the streets of North Greenwood. The DVD, which was sold in several stores, depicted street brawls, drug deals and naked women.

Demorris A. Lee can reached or (727) 445-4174.

After night in jail, 14-year-old testifies he saw 2007 Clearwater murder 08/26/09 [Last modified: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. What was Rays RF Steven Souza Jr. thinking on that comically bad dive?


    What could Rays RF Steven Souza Jr. been thinking in the seventh inning Friday when he dove for a ball and came up yards short?

    Actually, he insisted after all the laughing, teasing and standing ovation from the Twins fans was done, it was a matter of self-preservation.

  2. Judge tosses life sentences for D.C. sniper Lee Boyd Malvo


    McLEAN, Va. — A federal judge on Friday tossed out two life sentences for one of Virginia's most notorious criminals, sniper Lee Boyd Malvo, and ordered Virginia courts to hold new sentencing hearings.

    A federal judge has tossed out two life sentences for D.C. sniper shooter Lee Boyd Malvo. [Associated Press, 2004]
  3. Zbigniew Brzezinski, President Carter's national security adviser, dies


    Zbigniew Brzezinski, the hawkish strategic theorist who was national security adviser to President Jimmy Carter in the tumultuous years of the Iran hostage crisis and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the late 1970s, died on Friday at a hospital in Virginia. He was 89.

    Zbigniew Brzezinski, former national security adviser to President Jimmy Carter, participates in Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on Capitol Hill on March 5, 2009, in Washington, D.C. [Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images]
  4. USF eliminated by UCF in AAC baseball; Florida, FSU, Miami win


    CLEARWATER — Roughly 16 hours after a ninth-inning collapse against East Carolina in the American Athletic Conference's double-elimination baseball tournament, USF returned to Spectrum Field presumably set for a reboot.

    It simply got booted instead.

    ’NOLES win: Tyler Holton gets a hug from Drew Carlton after his strong eight innings help Florida State beat Louisville.
  5. Pinellas licensing board executive director settled hundreds of cases without getting his board's approval

    Local Government

    By Mark Puente

    Times Staff Writer

    Eleanor Morrison complained to the Pinellas licensing board in 2015 that her contractor installed crooked walls and windows and poured too much concrete for her carport.

    Eleanor Morrison poses at her home in Treasure Island, 5/26/17. Morrison filed a complaint with the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board and later learned that its former Executive Director, Rodney Fischer, dismissed the case in a private meeting with the contractor.