Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Alleged Walker Middle School rape victim's deposition sought

TAMPA — Attorneys for defendants in the Walker Middle School rape case will ask a judge today to compel the alleged victim to return to the United States to be questioned in preparation for trial.

According to a motion filed in court, attorney Tim Taylor said he got an e-mail from the State Attorney's Office saying the alleged victim will be overseas and unable to make a deposition scheduled for July 16 but, according to his father, would return the week before school starts.

Prosecutors said the deposition should be scheduled for August.

"All relevant depositions have been concluded in this case," Taylor wrote in the motion. "This case is over a year old and this final deposition needs to be taken as quickly as possible so the case can be prepared for trial."

Taylor said the boy's father previously told attorneys the family was thinking of living in the foreign country and was "testing the waters" this summer.

"The father was not able to tell us with certainty when or even if his family was going to come back," said defense attorney Norman Cannella.

The boy is a key witness in the state's case.

"The state would be without a prosecutable case if he's not available," Cannella said.

Prosecutors have said the then-13-year-old boy endured a two-month reign of terror in spring 2009 — that students heard his screams as he was raped with a broom and hockey stick in the school's locker room by youths.

The victim spoke out when a coach, noticing tension among the students, asked what was wrong. Four boys were charged as adults with felony sexual battery. Defense attorneys have said two medical exams showed no signs of sexual assault on the victim. A state crime lab analysis could not determine whether traces of DNA found on a hockey stick and a broom belonged to the suspects.

One suspect, Randall Moye, 15, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of felony battery with juvenile sanctions in exchange for truthful testimony against his co-defendants. The others — Lee Louis Myers, 15, Raymond Price-Murray, 15, and Diemante J. Roberts, 16 — have not accepted plea deals.

Alexandra Zayas can be reached at azayas@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3354.

Alleged Walker Middle School rape victim's deposition sought 06/28/10 [Last modified: Monday, June 28, 2010 10:46pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rowdies shut out at Pittsburgh

    Soccer

    PITTSBURGH — The Rowdies lost their first USL game in nearly a month, 1-0 to Pittsburgh on Thursday night.

  2. Trump reveals that he didn't record Comey after all

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump declared Thursday he never made and doesn't have recordings of his private conversations with ousted former FBI director James Comey, ending a monthlong guessing game that he started with a cryptic tweet and that ensnared his administration in yet more controversy.

    President Donald Trump said Thursday that he didn’t record his conversations with James Comey.
  3. Lightning fans, don't get attached to your first-round draft picks

    Lightning Strikes

    CHICAGO — When Lightning GM Steve Yzerman announces his first-round pick tonight in the amateur draft at No. 14, he'll invite the prospect onto the stage for the once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity.

    Tampa Bay Lightning left wing Jonathan Drouin (27) eludes  Montreal Canadiens left wing Phillip Danault (24) during the second period of Wednesday???‚??„?s (12/28/16) game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Montreal Canadiens at the Amalie Arena in Tampa.
  4. Investigation Discovery TV show profiles 2011 Landy Martinez murder case

    Crime

    The murder of a St. Petersburg man will be featured this week on a new true crime series Murder Calls on Investigation Discovery.

    Jose Adame sits in a Pinellas County courtroom during his 2016 trial and conviction for first-degree murder. Adame was convicted of first-degree murder last year for torturing and then executing his boyfriend as he pleaded for his life in 2011. Now it will be featured in a new true crime series Murder Calls on Investigation Discovery. The episode will air on June 26 at 9 p.m. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD   |   Times]
  5. Uhuru mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel protests exclusion from debate

    Blogs

    ST. PETERSBURG — Jesse Nevel, the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement candidate for mayor, on Thursday demanded that he be allowed to participate in a July 25 televised debate between incumbent Mayor Rick Kriseman and challenger Rick Baker.

    Mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel holds a news conference outside the headquarters of the Tampa Bay Times on Thursday to protest his exclusion from the mayoral debate. Nevel is a member of the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement.