TAMPA — An attorney for one of the teens accused in the Walker Middle School rape case said Wednesday that his client did not participate in a sexual assault.
"Lee Myers was not involved in any sexual assault," attorney Tim Taylor said after a brief court hearing, when he persuaded a judge to extend Myers' curfew to 9 p.m. for school and work-related activities.
"We believe that's going to come out," Taylor said. "There's not one witness who can identify him as being involved in a sexual assault."
In documents released Tuesday, two teammates said they never saw Myers, 14, participate in an attack. Another student said he thought Myers delivered one of the objects used to assault the victim.
Myers told authorities that he and Raymond Price-Murray held the arms of a flag football teammate during a 15- to 20-second incident in the locker room, according to records released last week. Afterward, Myers said, he told the victim that they were just playing around and didn't mean to hurt his feelings.
Myers, Price-Murray, 14, Randall John Moye III, 14, and Diemante J. Roberts, 15, have been charged as adults with four counts each of sexual battery.
The victim told authorities that the four teens attacked him as many as 12 times. He said Roberts and Price-Murray used a broom handle and hockey stick to assault him while Moye and Myers held him down.
On Wednesday, Hillsborough Circuit Judge Wayne Timmerman granted requests by Myers and Price-Murray to move their curfews from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Myers, dressed in a blazer and dress pants, did not speak during the hearing. Afterward, Taylor said his client would like to get the case resolved quickly.
"It's a very serious issue," Taylor said. "He takes it very seriously."
Colleen Jenkins can be reached at email@example.com or (813) 226-3337.