Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Criminal trial under way in case of former WellCare executives

TAMPA — Nearly two years after WellCare Health Plans agreed to pay $137.5 million to settle accusations that it had overcharged for its Medicaid and Medicare programs, the criminal trial of former top executives at the health care giant is under way in federal district court.

Opening statements are scheduled to start today in the case against four former leaders at Tampa-based WellCare, one of the state's largest operators of Medicaid managed-care plans. The defendants include former chief executive officer Todd S. Farha; former chief financial officer Paul L. Behrens; former vice president William Kale; and former vice president Peter E. Clay.

Former general counsel Thaddeus Bereday was also indicted, but because of an ongoing medical condition will be tried separately.

All five men face charges of conspiracy to commit Medicaid fraud and making false statements.

In 2007, federal agents raided WellCare's headquarters near Tampa after a whistle-blower alleged the company defrauded the government of at least $400 million.

According to the indictment, WellCare took Medicaid money from Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration with the understanding that if it did not use 80 percent of the funds set aside for behavioral health services, the difference was to be returned to the state.

But, prosecutors say, WellCare executives conspired to inflate what they actually spent to reduce the amount they had to return.

Evidence against them includes taped conversations between executives discussing how they could duplicate their bills to the state. The executives also discussed plans to save money by terminating coverage for neonatal babies and terminally ill patients, and throwing parties to reward employees who ousted expensive enrollees, according to whistle-blower documents.

Wellcare later acknowledged that it overcharged Florida and Illinois health programs by about $46.5 million. In 2010, the company agreed to pay $137.5 million to settle civil lawsuits accusing the company of overcharging for its Medicaid and Medicare programs.

That settlement was separate from a deal struck in 2009 on the criminal front. In that case, WellCare agreed to pay $80 million to settle corporate criminal charges.

But the criminal case against former WellCare executives wasn't over. In March 2011, a federal grand jury indicted the five former executives.

Despite the findings of fraud, WellCare never lost its state Medicaid contracts.

Last week, Gov. Rick Scott announced the federal government said it would permit the state to move all of its Medicaid patients into the privately run managed care programs. WellCare, one of the handful of power players in the Medicaid business, is widely expected to secure additional contracts.

Jodie Tillman can be reached at [email protected] or (813) 226-3374.

Criminal trial under way in case of former WellCare executives 02/25/13 [Last modified: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:26pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Trump says he'll visit Puerto Rico next Tuesday

    National

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says he'll visit hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico next Tuesday.

    Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., left, and Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas, right, listen as President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with members of the House Ways and Means committee in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017, in Washington. [Associated Press]
  2. Paraglider suffers burns in St. Pete after crashing into power lines

    Accidents

    ST. PETERSBURG — A paraglider was injured Tuesday morning after crashing into power lines and suffering electrical burns.

    A parachutist became entangled in power lines near 1st Avenue N and 60th Street N on Sept. 26, 2017. [10News WTSP]
  3. Halloween season is upon us: Our top 5 wild and mild haunted attractions

    Events

    Halloween has become a profitable scare season oozing well into September and past November. That means more time to meet grim, grinning ghosts, get your pants scared off by nightmarish clowns and fill your treat bags to the brim.

    Scare actors roam the grounds of Busch Gardens in Tampa during their annual Howl-O-Scream Halloween themed event. Howl-O-Scream continues on select nights through Oct. 29 at the Tampa theme park. Howl-O-Scream is a separate ticket event and has seven haunted houses, five scare zones and the chance to ride coasters in the dark. [Friday, September 22, 2017] [Photo Luis Santana | Times]
  4. Equifax CEO Richard Smith steps down amid hacking scandal

    Personal Finance

    The chief executive of Equifax, the troubled credit reporting agency that suffered a massive data breach that affected as many as 143 million people, will retire, effective Tuesday, according to a statement by the company.

    Richard Smith, chief executive of Equifax, the troubled credit reporting agency that suffered a massive data breach that affected as many as 143 million people, will reportedly retire effective Tuesday.
[File photo: Joey Ivansco/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP]