Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Ex-baseball star Alomar: Tampa domestic violence 'media circus' is wife's fault

TAMPA — Retired baseball star Roberto Alomar said Friday that his estranged wife had turned their domestic violence proceedings into a "tasteless media circus."

In a new court filing, Alomar said television journalists and his wife were waiting inside the couple's Avila home when he arrived Aug. 14 to pick up his Rolls-Royce, Ferrari and other personal items with a judge's permission.

Maria Del Pilar Alomar is living at the home while her allegations against her husband get sorted out in court. She is seeking a permanent domestic violence injunction against him, claiming he threatened her with a knife in their home.

The former ballplayer, a 12‑time All-Star during his 16‑year major-league career, said his wife has given television interviews about the court proceedings. Portions of their Aug. 13 hearing, which drew a throng of reporters from Spanish-language media, have aired in Puerto Rico.

During one lengthy interview at their home, Maria Del Pilar Alomar was "clad only in a skimpy tee shirt and short shorts," according to the court filing.

"These interviews included television pictures of the husband's personal property, his baseball memorabilia and his automobiles," the filing states.

Roberto Alomar asked that she be held in contempt of court for violating the terms of the injunction and his privacy rights.

Hillsborough Senior Judge Raul "Sonny" Palomino Jr. denied the contempt motion.

He granted Alomar's request for a continuance in the domestic violence proceedings, ordering the parties to return to court for a full hearing Sept. 2.

Ex-baseball star Alomar: Tampa domestic violence 'media circus' is wife's fault 08/20/10 [Last modified: Friday, August 20, 2010 9:10pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. CBO analysis: 23 million would lose health coverage under House-passed bill

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Republican health care bill that passed the House earlier this month would nearly double the number of Americans without health insurance over the next decade, according to a new analysis by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

    Demonstrators protests the passage of a House Republican health care bill, outside the the Capitol in Washington, on May 4. The House took the unusual step of voting on the American Health Care Act before the Congressional Budget Office could assess it. That analysis was released Thursday and it showed the bill would cause 23 million fewer people to have health insurance by 2026. Many additional consumers would see skimpier health coverage and higher deductibles, the budget office projected.
  2. Florida Specialty Insurance acquires Pinellas Park's Mount Beacon Insurance

    Banking

    Tens of thousands of homeowners who were pushed out of Citizens Property Insurance for a private carrier since 2014 are finding themselves changing insurance companies yet again.

  3. Pope Francis presents Trump with a 'politically loaded gift': His encyclical on climate change

    Global Warming

    VATICAN CITY — On Wednesday, Pope Francis appeared to make his point with a gift.

    Ivanka Trump, first lady Melania Trump and President Donald Trump meet with Pope Francis at the Vatican, Wednesday.  [Evan Vucci/Pool via The New York Times]
  4. Tampa police say 41-year-old man shot and killed by ex-boss, investigation ongoing

    Crime

    TAMPA — A 41-year-old man was shot and killed by his former boss Wednesday morning outside the West Tampa auto body shop where they once worked together, according to Tampa police.

  5. Father and brother of alleged bomber detained in Libya

    World

    The father and younger brother of the man who British police say bombed an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester have been detained in Libya, where anti-terror authorities said the brother confessed to knowing "all the details" of the attack plot.

    Hashim Ramadan Abedi appears inside the Tripoli-based Special Deterrent anti-terrorism force unit after his arrest on Tuesday for alleged links to the Islamic State extremist group. Abedi is the brother of Salman Abedi, who has been identified as the man behind the bombing that killed 22 people and wounded scores at an Ariana Grande concert Monday night in Manchester. [Ahmed Bin Salman, Special Deterrent Force via AP]