Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Judge removes restrictions from suspects in Walker Middle School attack

Students Randall Moye, 14, second from left, Diemante Roberts, 15, and Raymond Price-Murray, 14, appear in court. Another student, Lee Myers, 14, did not appear at the hearing on the advice of his lawyer. None of the students may return to Walker.

MARTHA RIAL | Times

Students Randall Moye, 14, second from left, Diemante Roberts, 15, and Raymond Price-Murray, 14, appear in court. Another student, Lee Myers, 14, did not appear at the hearing on the advice of his lawyer. None of the students may return to Walker.

TAMPA — Four juveniles accused of sexually battering a 13-year-old classmate at Walker Middle School were released Tuesday from home detention and electronic monitoring.

Deputies arrested the teens — Lee Louis Myers, 14, Raymond A. Price-Murray, 14, Randall John Moye, 14, and Diemante J. Roberts, 15 — on May 6, eight days after the alleged attack with a broom handle and a hockey stick in a locker room.

Hillsborough Circuit Judge Christopher Sabella said he had no choice but to release them, noting that adult charges have not been filed. He warned them to stay away from the victim.

"That part of my order will remain in effect," Sabella said. "You won't be required to stay in your house, but that might be a good idea."

All of the teens except Myers appeared in court. Myers' attorney said he didn't think the boy needed to attend the hearing. The boys' parents and attorneys offered no comment.

Earlier this month, Assistant State Attorney Pam Bondi said prosecutors would charge the four as adults. But Tuesday, Assistant State Attorney Kimberly Hindman told the judge the state is still investigating "forensic evidence" and has made no determination about adult charges.

After the hearing, prosecutors declined to describe the nature of that evidence.

The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office initially arrested the teens as juveniles on charges of sexual battery and false imprisonment.

Sabella delayed Tuesday's scheduled arraignment until June 9, so that the court might know the status of adult charges before proceeding in the juvenile matter.

Meanwhile, the teens aren't allowed to return to Walker Middle, said school district spokesman Stephen Hegarty.

"They're not going back," he said. He did not disclose where the students might be enrolled, citing privacy laws.

In cases like this, Hegarty said, district officials typically suspend students for 10 days and schedule a change-of-placement hearing, which would have happened by now.

Options available to the students would have included homeschooling, private school or alternative school, Hegarty said.

The victim's father seemed surprised to learn of the day's developments. "They are free?" he asked. He pursed his lips and declined further comment.

Times staff writer Dong-Phuong Nguyen contributed to this report. Kevin Graham can be reached at [email protected] or (813) 226-3433.

Judge removes restrictions from suspects in Walker Middle School attack 05/26/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:37pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921