Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Last of Walker Middle School defendants sentenced to juvenile probation

TAMPA — A case that began last year with shocking accusations of a locker room rape at Walker Middle School came to an anti-climactic end Wednesday, when the last of four teenage defendants was sentenced to juvenile probation.

Randall Moye, 15, was the first to accept a plea deal with prosecutors early this year that reduced his four sexual battery charges to one felony battery charge, in exchange for cooperation in the prosecution of the others. On Wednesday, assistant state attorney Kimberly Hindman said Moye complied.

All the other defendants have been punished. Lee Louis Myers, 15, entered a pretrial intervention program in August. Diemante Roberts, 16, and Raymond Price-Murray, 15, later accepted plea deals for felony battery charges, each receiving five years of adult probation. None will be labeled sex offenders. And none, unless they violate agreements, will spend a day in jail.

The victim and his family did not go to court Wednesday. They told a prosecutor they hoped that with this final chapter, reporters would stop knocking on their door and their son could start trying to move on.

In May 2009, the victim told authorities that Price-Murray and Roberts used a broom handle and hockey stick to assault him while Moye and Myers held him down.

Roberts, Price-Murray and Myers will have to speak to their peers about the adverse effects of hazing and bullying.

Moye will need to write the victim a letter of apology.

Circuit Judge Chet A. Tharpe told Moye he must also complete 100 community service hours, remain in school, have no violent contact with anyone and go to counseling. Once he meets all those requirements, the Department of Juvenile Justice can move to terminate his probation.

Moye did not speak in court or after the hearing, but his public defender Maura Doherty said he was remorseful for his role in the crime. Hindman said the victim's family wanted Moye and the others to be punished, but also wanted them to move forward after this and become productive members of society.

Alexandra Zayas can be reached at azayas@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3354.

Last of Walker Middle School defendants sentenced to juvenile probation 10/27/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rick Scott for President?

    Blogs

    Reubin Askew tried. So did Bob Graham. And Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio. When you've shown an ability to win statewide elections in America's biggest swing state, you're almost automatically a credible contender for president.

    Rick Scott
  2. The next step in a sex abuse survivor's recovery: Erasing her tattoo

    Health

    TAMPA — Even after 20 years, Sufiyah can't escape the memories of being sexually exploited by gang members as a teenager.

    The tattoo makes it impossible.

    Sufiyah, an aAbuse survivor, prepares to have a tattoo removed  at Tampa Tattoo Vanish  on Thursday. During her teen years, she was sexually exploited by a gang. The tattoo is a mark of her exploiters. 

Tampa Tattoo Vanish is a new tattoo removal business run by Brian Morrison, where survivors of human trafficking get free tattoo removal.  [CHARLIE KAIJO   |   Times
  3. Good to be bad? Dirk Koetter's call for bold, brash Bucs

    Bucs

    Is being a badass team all about swagger and toughness? "Our whole thing is about competing," Bucs coach Dirk Koetter says. (Loren Elliott | Times)
  4. St. Pete sewage crisis ends with no charges, $326 million bill

    Water

    ST. PETERSBURG — The city has put the legal fallout from the sewage crisis behind it.

    Signs at North Shore Park in St. Petersburg warn people in September to stay out of the water due to contamination from partially treated sewage from the city's overwhelmed sewer system in September 2016. The city recently learned that no employees will face charges as a result of that crisis. The St. Petersburg City Council also agreed to spend $326 million fixing its sewer system. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  5. Epilogue: Tony Scaglione served Ybor delicacies and laughs

    Obituaries

    Tony Scaglione's childhood dream was to own his family's restaurant.

    Tony Scaglione - the longtime owner of Tony's Ybor Restaurant - has died.  He was 87. Credit: Larry Scaglione