Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Man acquitted of two Hernando robberies

BROOKSVILLE — A jury late Thursday acquitted a man who faced life in prison for his suspected roles in two separate robberies in Hernando County last year.

After about two hours of deliberation, a six member-jury found 25-year-old Christopher Hood not guilty on multiple counts of armed robbery and robbery.

Hood and four other men were accused of entering the Beach Bar on Shoal Line Boulevard in Hernando Beach at 2 a.m. one Saturday last January and robbing at least nine customers at gunpoint.

Hood was not accused of using a gun in that crime, but did use a gun in a robbery the day before at the AVA game room on U.S. 19 in Spring Hill, Assistant State Attorney Don Barbee told the jury.

The cases were consolidated and relied almost entirely on the testimony of codefendants who wore orange prison jumpsuits on the stand, and that likely had an impact on the verdict, Barbee said.

"It's disappointing, but you've got to respect the jury's decision," he said.

Hood, who was listed as homeless at the time of his arrest, was released from prison in August 2009 for a burglary charge. As a prior offender, he faced life in prison if convicted of armed robbery.

Hood didn't go free after his acquittal, though. He is being held as he awaits a Jan. 31 trial date on a charge of armed robbery in Pasco County. Prosecutors say Hood was one of two men who snatched a woman's purse in Hudson last year.

The victim identified Hood from a photo, said Assistant State Attorney Chris LaBruzzo. Hood, who is suspected of being affiliated with a gang, faces a mandatory minimum 15 year sentence if convicted.

"I'm excited to try it because I've got eyewitness testimony, video evidence and jailhouse informants," LaBruzzo said.

William Pent, 21, of Weeki Wachee and Joshua Depew, 20, and Richard Depew, 22, both of New Port Richey, all took plea deals in the Hernando case. A fourth suspect, Shawn McLoughlin, 25, confessed and is also expected to accept a plea deal that would cap his sentence at 15 years, Barbee said. He has a court appearance set for next week.

Tony Marrero can be reached at (352) 848-1431 or tmarrero@sptimes.com.

Man acquitted of two Hernando robberies 01/14/11 [Last modified: Friday, January 14, 2011 2:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Beards are back in style, but guys, take care of them

    Blogs

    Tired of sitting in front of a computer screen for a living, Tyler Goelz wanted to make something tangible. The 28-year-old web developer only had to look in the mirror to find inspiration.

    Tyler Goelz of St. Petersburg, the creator of Organic Beard Supply, is pictured at Central Oak Barber Co. in St. Petersburg with some of his products. Goelz, 28, has had a beard since he could grow one.
  2. William March: Two Democrats appear to lead challenge of U.S. Rep. Dennis Ross

    Politics

    Half a dozen Democrats have filed for the primary to challenge U.S. Rep. Dennis Ross, R-Lakeland, but so far, only two have mounted substantial financial campaigns — Andrew Learned of Bloomingdale and James Gregory "Greg" Pilkington of Indian Lake Estates in Polk County.

    Rep. Dennis Ross, R-Lakeland, faces a challenge from Democrats hoping to take advantage of voter dissatisfaction with Republican President Donald Trump. [Times file]
  3. Gov. Scott says decisions on Confederate monuments should be left to the democratic 'process'

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott this morning avoided directly answering whether Confederate monuments should be taken down, saying the decision should be part of a democratic "process."

    Workers place boards around a Confederate monument on Hillsborough County property in Tampa on Thursday, August 17, 2017. It took 24 hours to raise private funds in order to move the statue from its current location.
  4. A 5,000-year-old stone carving may be the world's first drawing of an eclipse

    Space

    An unassuming grass-covered stone mound outside of Dublin, Ireland, may be home to the world's oldest visual representation of a solar eclipse.

    This 5,000-year-old stone carving in Meath, Ireland, predating Stonehenge by at least 1,000 years, may be the world's oldest surviving depiction of an eclipse. [Courtesy of Michael Fox-Boynevalleytours.com]
  5. Ex-Bucs WR Vincent Jackson highlights Kriseman's pick for Manhattan Casino restaurant

    Blogs

    Mayor Rick Kriseman picked a Floribbean-themed restaurant to highlight turning a new page in the historic Manhattan Casino, which has been shuttered for more than a year after the city …

    Kriseman makes his choice on a new tenant for the iconic Manhattan Casino: Floribbean cuisine