Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Man gets 15 years in molestation plea deal

NEW PORT RICHEY — Three of the victims were age 7 when a man molested and exposed himself to them last year. The other little girl was just 5.

They will all be adults by the time the man who abused them can walk free again.

Robert Stanley Butler is 63 now, and on Monday morning he was sentenced to 15 years in prison in a plea agreement blessed by his victims' families.

They didn't want their daughters to go through another trauma — testifying in open court — according to Pinellas-Pasco Assistant State Attorney Mary Handsel.

"They asked us to accept the plea offer," she said, "and based upon the victims' requests, we agreed to the plea agreement."

Sheriff's deputies accused Butler of touching and exposing himself to the four girls between January and May 2007 while visiting Pasco County.

Butler knew the victims, said authorities, who are withholding the girls' identities.

The Sumter County man had no prior criminal record until his May 11 arrest.

He has a record now: Circuit Judge Thane Covert adjudicated Butler guilty Monday of four counts of lewd and lascivious molestation and two counts of lewd and lascivious exhibition.

But prison isn't all Butler will face. He was also sentenced to 15 years of sex offender probation and counseling upon his release. The judge also declared him a sexual predator, which means every step he takes after prison will be electronically monitored.

And under the Jimmy Ryce Act, he might not even be allowed to walk free. Under the Ryce act, the state can hold dangerous sex offenders against their will in a treatment facility after their prison sentence is up.

Jamal Thalji can be reached at [email protected] or (727)

869-6236.

Man gets 15 years in molestation plea deal 04/07/08 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 8, 2008 9:31pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Spain planning to strip Catalonia of its autonomy

    World

    BARCELONA, Spain — The escalating confrontation over Catalonia's independence drive took its most serious turn Saturday as Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of Spain announced he would remove the leadership of the restive region and initiate a process of direct rule by the central government in Madrid.

    Demonstrators in Barcelona protest the decision to take control of Catalonia to derail the independence movement.
  2. Funeral held for U.S. soldier at center of Trump fight

    Nation

    COOPER CITY — Mourners remembered not only a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman but his three comrades who died with him.

    The casket of Sgt. La David T. Johnson of Miami Gardens, who was killed in an ambush in Niger. is wheeled out after a viewing at the Christ The Rock Church, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017  in Cooper City, Fla. (Pedro Portal/Miami Herald via AP) FLMIH102
  3. Chemical industry insider now shapes EPA policy

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — For years, the Environmental Protection Agency has struggled to prevent an ingredient once used in stain-resistant carpets and nonstick pans from contaminating drinking water.

    This is the Dow chemical plant near Freeport, Texas. Before the 2016 election, Dow had been in talks with the EPA to phase out the pesticide chlorpyrifos, which is blamed for disabilities in children. Dow is no longer willing to compromise.
  4. Unforgiving wildfires affect vineyard workers and owners

    Nation

    SONOMA, Calif. — When the wildfires ignited, vineyard workers stopped picking grapes and fled for their lives. Some vineyard owners decided to stay and fight back, spending days digging firebreaks and sleeping among their vines.

    Wilma Illanes and daughter Gabriela Cervantes, 8, found their home intact, but had lost a week’s wages and sought aid.
  5. O'Reilly got new contract after big settlement

    Nation

    Last January, six months after Fox News ousted its chairman amid a sexual harassment scandal, the network's top-rated host at the time, Bill O'Reilly, struck a $32 million agreement with a longtime network analyst to settle new sexual harassment allegations, two people briefed on the matter told the New York …

    Bill O’Reilly was fired by Fox News after multiple allegations.