Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New trial ordered for Seminole man convicted of killing mom

LARGO — Kevin Kyne, convicted in 2012 of murdering his mother in their Seminole home, should get a new trial, a Florida appeals court ruled on Friday.

Circuit Judge Nancy Moate Ley erred by allowing the jury to hear about Kyne's "prior violent disputes" with his stepfather, William Kyne, according to the ruling from the 2nd District Court of Appeal.

"We're pleased with the opinion and look forward to trying the case again," Pinellas-Pasco Public Defender Bob Dillinger said. "We always said that evidence should not have been admitted."

Diane Kyne, 49, was strangled and smothered in her house in August 2010. The only other people home at the time were her son and husband. Both men blamed the other, and reported the killing in separate 911 calls.

Prosecutors pointed to physical evidence in making their case against Kevin, which included drops of his blood found on his mother's body. They also discussed increasing friction between mother and son, including arguments about when he would move out of the house and how he would monopolize a family computer.

The appeals court did not find fault with this evidence, but it did criticize comments made about disputes between Kevin and William, calling it "wholly unconnected" to whether Kevin killed his mother.

Instead, that evidence amounted to "nothing more than inadmissible testimony concerning Kevin's bad character," the court said. The state had argued it was necessary to present this background in order to fully understand how the crime unfolded.

Kyne was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The 2010 case received wide local media coverage, and was featured last year on the Investigation Discovery channel.

A new trial date has not been set. But Kyne, currently in a North Florida prison, will eventually be brought back to the Pinellas County Jail for further court proceedings.

New trial ordered for Seminole man convicted of killing mom 07/11/14 [Last modified: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:33pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Estimated 5,000 people marvel at MOSI over solar eclipse

    Human Interest

    Packing pinhole cereal box viewers, cardboard glasses and curiosity, solar gawkers gathered outside Tampa's Museum of Science and Industry on Monday for a show that required no ticket.

    At center, Sophia Butter, 8, and Kristina Butera, both of Valrico, watch the sun through eclipse viewing glasses during a solar eclipse party Monday at the Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa. MOSI will reopen after renovations on November 18. [MONICA HERNDON   |   Times]
  2. Florida State sees plenty of upside in Dade City native Jacob Pugh

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — No, Florida State senior Jacob Pugh is not as versatile as teammate Derwin James.

     Florida State Seminoles linebacker Jacob Pugh (16) and Florida State Seminoles defensive end DeMarcus Walker (44) celebrate after sacking the Miami quarterback Saturday October 8, 2016 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.
  3. Tampa officer treated for knee injury after police truck, police SUV collide

    Accidents

    Times staff

    TAMPA — A Tampa police officer was treated and released for a knee injury when his unmarked police truck collided with a patrol SUV while the officers were tracking a stolen car, a police spokesman said.

  4. Waiting for the eclipse: 'Everyone thinks this is cool'

    Human Interest

    ST. PETERSBURG — Hunter Holland came to school Monday with a NASA space T-shirt and solar viewers in his button-up shirt pocket. But he'd rather be in Missouri.

    Jayda Hebert (front, center), 11, uses her protective glasses to watch Monday's solar eclipse with her cousin, Judah Adams (back left), 11, and her brother Jake Hebert (right), 9, while with their family at St. Petersburg Beach. "We're skipping school for the eclipse," her mom, Sarah Hebert, said. [DIRK SHADD   |   Times]
  5. Second person resigns from Hillsborough diversity council after Confederate activist appointed

    Blogs

    TAMPA — A second person has resigned symbolically from the Hillsborough County Diversity Advisory Council after the appointment of a known activist of Confederate causes to the panel. 

    Two people have resigned from the Hillsborough County Diversity Advisory Council after the inclusion of David McCallister, a leader of the local branch of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.