Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Onstott jury hears jailhouse phone call: I've broken all Ten Commandments

David Onstott painfully reacts as he listens to a recorded phone conversation he had with his ex-wife Rhonda Crouse while he was in jail.

KEN HELLE | Times

David Onstott painfully reacts as he listens to a recorded phone conversation he had with his ex-wife Rhonda Crouse while he was in jail.

TAMPA — Murder suspect David Lee Onstott had been sitting stone-faced through his trial, listening stoically as the state built a case that he had strangled a 13-year-old girl named Sarah Lunde.

But he was finally moved to tears Friday as prosecutors played a recording of a jailhouse phone call where Onstott talked of having broken all Ten Commandments.

First, his ex-wife Rhonda Crouse was called to the witness stand. She'd been married to Onstott from 2003 to 2004 but had separated from him by April 2005, when Sarah was killed. After Onstott was charged with murder, he called Crouse from the Hillsborough County Jail. Like all such calls, it was recorded.

Throughout much of the 10-minute call, Onstott was sobbing and rambling. Crouse told him not to lapse into self-pity: "Don't struggle with the Lord. … The most important thing right now is your salvation."

Their conversation was dotted with biblical references as Onstott mourned his lot in life, and Crouse offered spiritual guidance.

Finally, Onstott said: "You know, I've broken every commandment now."

"Yes. Every single one," Crouse answered.

"Every single one," he said.

"There was only one left, and then you did it," Crouse said.

"Every single one," Onstott repeated.

In the courtroom Friday, jurors listened intently. Onstott started looking upset. His ex-wife sat motionless with her eyes shut.

On the recording, a computerized voice warned, "You have one minute left." A sobbing Onstott told his wife, "I'll always love you. I'm sorry."

The call ended.

In court, Onstott wiped tears from his eyes.

Prosecutor Jay Pruner asked Crouse just one more question: "Is one of the Ten Commandments 'Thou shalt not kill'?"

"Yes," she answered.

• • •

Former Hillsborough jail Deputy Brian Herndon, who monitored Onstott while he was on suicide watch, testified that Onstott said he choked a girl to death.

"He said he went to his ex-girlfriend's house for a booty call. Once he was inside the house, he was involved in an argument with a little girl. They got into a physical fight and he choked her," Herndon said.

Herndon put an arm across his own neck, showing how Onstott had demonstrated a choke hold.

"He said the last thing he remembers hearing is her breathing … her gasping for air … and then he just blacked out," Herndon said.

Onstott's attorney, Assistant Public Defender John Skye, sharply questioned Herndon about why he didn't tell anyone about this for nearly a year.

"I actually thought it was common knowledge," Herndon said. "He told me he just came back from talking to the detectives." A judge has thrown out a confession Onstott made to detectives because they had ignored his request for an attorney.

Other testimony Friday focused on the crime scene where Sarah's body was found facedown in a pond. It's an abandoned tropical fish farm off 30th Street SE in Ruskin where contractors have been dumping construction debris for years. Its owner, Chris Proctor, said about 85 pools on 10 acres can't be seen from the street because the property is overgrown.

Prosecutors are making the point to the jury that Onstott, who worked in construction, was one of the few people who visited the ponds or even knew they were there. Proctor said only Onstott, Onstott's father and one other contractor had permission to dump debris there.

The trial resumes Monday.

Mike Brassfield can be reached at brassfield@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3435.

Onstott jury hears jailhouse phone call: I've broken all Ten Commandments 08/15/08 [Last modified: Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:05pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.