Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pasco man sentenced to 30 years in prison for shaking baby

Before he was sentenced, Jonathan Gelb stood and proclaimed his innocence. “I didn’t abuse you,” Gelb said to his son, Lukuz. 

Bay News 9

Before he was sentenced, Jonathan Gelb stood and proclaimed his innocence. “I didn’t abuse you,” Gelb said to his son, Lukuz. 

NEW PORT RICHEY — Before he was sentenced to 30 years in prison, Jonathan Gelb stood at the front of the courtroom and proclaimed his innocence.

"I didn't abuse you," Gelb said Friday to his son, Lukuz, who was hurt so severely that he is in a permanent vegetative state. He was in the courtroom Friday. Lukuz, nearly 4, cannot see, walk, talk or feed himself. He wears a helmet to protect his head. He is so fragile, his family says, he could die any day.

A jury decided last month that Gelb, now 28, was the one who hurt his son and convicted Gelb of aggravated child abuse. Gelb had been watching Lukuz, then 2 months old, on Sept. 30, 2008, when he called the baby's mother and said she needed to come home because Lukuz was twitching. When Leann Rodriguez got to their Port Richey home, she found the infant gasping for air. Doctors said Lukuz's brain was bleeding and he had leg fractures — new and old ones. Experts testified Lukuz's injuries were consistent with shaken baby syndrome.

"I hope some day you can look at yourself and know what you did was wrong," Rodriguez said in court, looking at Gelb as she spoke.

Gelb said he was guilty only of not immediately calling 911 when he noticed his son was in distress.

"Lukuz, we are all people," he said. "We all make mistakes."

He was adamant that he didn't cause the boy's injuries. Gelb, who has been in the Pasco jail since his arrest in December 2009, said he has a photo of his son with him in his cell. He said he loves Lukuz.

"What is the answer to my son's condition?" Gelb said. "I still don't know. But I am going to do everything I can to find out why my son is the way he is today."

He plans to appeal the conviction.

Gelb could have gotten as little as seven years in prison. The maximum was 30 years. "If I had more to ask, I would," said Assistant State Attorney Eva Vergos.

She said Lukuz's family feels thankful the boy survived. But Gelb caused "irreparable harm."

Lukuz "certainly is not enjoying the quality of life that a 4-year-old child should be enjoying," Vergos said.

Circuit Judge Mary Handsel gave Gelb the maximum — 30 years. Handsel spoke of how Gelb said he is searching for answers.

"Those answers lie in him and him alone," Handsel said. "Only he knows what happened."

She spoke of how Gelb professed love for Lukuz.

"In this particular case, it's obvious your frustration overcame your love," she said.

Rodriguez, 31, said she didn't believe Gelb's statements.

"He can deny it all he wants, but it's not going to change anything," said Rodriguez, who now lives in Hudson.

Lukuz needs constant care, she said, and will for the rest of his life. She said he recognizes his name. He likes to cuddle. The other day she was kissing his cheek, and he smiled and giggled. She lives for those moments, that connection with her son. She is trying to tell her son's story, to increase awareness about shaken baby syndrome. She doesn't want other children to go through what her son has.

"People make mistakes," she said of what Gelb did to their boy. "But this is a mistake that will never be forgiven."

Pasco man sentenced to 30 years in prison for shaking baby 06/15/12 [Last modified: Friday, June 15, 2012 6:33pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921