Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Romano: State failed to seek all the truth in murder case

We trust the state to take bad guys off the street.

Track them down, send them to trial and lock 'em up.

In this, there can be no leeway. No pity, no uncertainty, no failure. Victory is the clanging sound of a cell door.

But at what point does justice outweigh victory?

And when is the truth more important than a conviction?

You might have heard last week about the case of Paul Hildwin, a Hernando County man who has spent 28 years on death row for a murder he insists he did not commit.

The state Supreme Court has overturned Hildwin's conviction, and officials are now debating whether to prepare for a new trial or set him free.

Here's one suggestion:

Cut him loose.

And apologize profusely.

The conviction that seemed so rock solid in 1986 has since eroded tremendously. Defense witnesses were never heard from. Evidence of another suspect was ignored. Scientific testimony was bogus.

For more than 20 years, the state has been aware of inconsistencies, yet it has fought vociferously against the introduction of new evidence.

"At some point, you would have hoped they would step back and say, 'Why not look at this objectively? Why not consider what this new evidence means?' " said Hildwin's attorney Martin McClain. "They never did.''

Let me be clear on this:

Hildwin is no saint. In fact, his behavior was reprehensible and stupid and has a lot to do with why he was convicted. It's also important to point out that the new evidence does not prove his innocence, but it does cast doubt on his guilt.

The evidence of his guilt?

Hildwin, a convicted rapist, cashed a check and stole a ring from Vronzettie Cox, who picked him up while hitchhiking. She was found murdered days later.

At trial, an FBI analyst suggested there was a strong possibility Hildwin's semen was on her underpants. Hildwin also told conflicting stories.

Evidence for exoneration?

The woman's nephew told police he talked to her at a bar on a Monday about 12 hours after Hildwin supposedly killed her. Another witness said she saw the victim at a bar the next afternoon. This should have blown apart the state's timeline, but the original defense attorney was unaware of these witnesses.

Meanwhile, the boyfriend told police that he never saw her again after she left their home to do laundry, yet days went by and he never reported her missing. When her sister finally inquired about her, the boyfriend made suspicious-sounding statements, according to police reports. A note he had written telling the victim to "f--- off and die" was also discovered. None of this was revealed at the trial.

Finally, new DNA testing proved that the semen on the woman's underpants did not belong to Hildwin. Instead, it belonged to the boyfriend, who has since been sentenced to 20 years for sexually abusing a child.

This does not mean the boyfriend is the murderer. It doesn't mean Hildwin is not the murderer. But if you punch holes in the timeline, include the DNA evidence and shine a new light on the boyfriend, there is a mountain of reasonable doubt.

What's disturbing is the state knew a lot of this at the original trial but ignored it. A lot of it became public at an evidentiary hearing in 1992, and the DNA evidence came along in 2003. Yet the state did not consider the possibility that a mistake had been made. Instead, the state fought to perpetuate it.

McClain suggests that Tom Hogan, the original prosecutor, played fast and loose with the discovery process and took advantage of an inexperienced defense attorney.

Hogan, who now has a private practice in Hernando, did not return a phone call. Kenneth Nunnelley, who handled the case for the state in recent years and now works for the state attorney in Orlando, referred all questions to the Attorney General's Office. A spokesman for the attorney general said it was inappropriate to comment at this time.

Meanwhile, Hildwin was notified of the Supreme Court's decision by two prison guards Thursday afternoon. When McClain spoke to him by phone Friday, Hildwin was eager to know if, or when, he might be released.

Since being convicted, Hildwin has had one death warrant signed, fought cancer and sat in a cell as the world changed around him.

"It's been a long time,'' McClain said. "Longer than it needed to be.''

A wrongful conviction is a mistake and a tragedy.

Ignoring its possibility is something far worse.

Romano: State failed to seek all the truth in murder case 06/27/14 [Last modified: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:32pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Report slams Pinellas construction licensing agency

    Local Government

    LARGO –– The Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board mismanaged its finances, lacked accountability and violated its own rules, according to a scathing report released Wednesday by the county's inspector general.

    Rodney Fischer, the executive director of the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board, resigned in January.  [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]
  2. Tampa driver dies after swerving off Interstate 4 into canal

    Accidents

    PLANT CITY — A Tampa driver swerved off Interstate 4 Wednesday morning, plunging into a canal in a fatal crash, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.

  3. Editorial: Scott should keep demanding better for seniors in nursing homes

    Editorials

    The horrific story of elderly Floridians dying from the heat in a Broward County nursing home after surviving Hurricane Irma grows more outrageous. Even as a ninth death has been reported, the nursing home blames the state and has filed a lawsuit challenging Gov. Rick Scott's move to prevent it from accepting new …

    Even as a ninth death has been reported, the nursing home blames the state and has filed a lawsuit challenging Gov. Rick Scott’s move to prevent it from accepting new patients or Medicaid payments.
  4. DCF announces $133 million in federal aid for low-income families who lost food during Irma

    Hurricanes

    An additional $133 million is being distributed to Florida low-income families to help replace food destroyed by Hurricane Irma, the Florida Department of Children and Families announced today.

    The United States Department of Agriculture has made $133 million available to Florida low-income families to help them replace food damaged during Hurricane Irma
  5. A meatless burger that tastes like meat? Ciccio Restaurants will serve the Impossible Burger.

    Food & Dining

    TAMPA — The most red-hot hamburger in the nation right now contains no meat.

    Luis Flores, executive chef at Ciccio Restaurant Group, prepares an Impossible Burger at Epicurean Hotel's Food Theatre. Impossible Burger is a plant-based burger that will launch on Sept. 27, 2017 in all the Ciccio Restaurant Group locations, except for Fresh Kitchen. "This burger caters to the carnivorous, not just the vegetarians" said Jeff Gigante, co-founder at Ciccio Restaurant Group. ALESSANDRA DA PRA  |   Times