Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Spring Hill man who killed, buried brother sentenced to 50 years in prison

BROOKSVILLE — Last month, Stanley Elias Eckard turned down a plea offer that would have capped his sentence for killing his brother at 20 years.

On Monday, Circuit Judge Anthony Tatti sentenced Eckard to serve more than twice that long — 50 years.

"No parent should have to endure what you have endured," Tatti told Eckard's parents, Samuel and Donna, who had asked for a new trial.

"But this is not a crime that just involves your family. One of your sons took the life of another son, and our society recognizes that murder is the highest crime. And for murder, there should be punishment."

Stanley Eckard, 24, has always maintained that he didn't mean to kill his brother, Sean, three summers ago before burying him in the side yard of the Spring Hill home the men shared with their parents.

Prosecutors charged Eckard with first-degree murder. Last month, a jury decided the evidence didn't prove he planned the killing and convicted him of second-degree murder.

During Monday's sentencing hearing, Donna and Samuel Eckard sobbed as they asked Tatti to reevaluate the case.

"This is not a homicide," Donna Eckard said. "This is a tragic accident that the family has suffered."

Then Stanley Eckard apologized to his family.

"I made bad decisions and I just continued making them," he said. "I wish there was some way I could take it back, but it doesn't matter, because I can't … I'm just sorry."

Eckard has said that his brother died as the two men struggled in Sean Eckard's bedroom in early in the morning of June 19, 2010. Stanley Eckard said he heard a pop in his brother's neck as the two men fell to the floor, and that he hid Sean's body to protect his mother, who has a weak heart, from the shock of the news. He said he planned to tell his father after his mother left for a trip.

During last month's trial, Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino highlighted testimony that showed Stanley Eckard was attracted to a woman that his brother was dating.

In the two days after burying his brother, Magrino said, Stanley Eckard sent texts to his brother's girlfriend telling her that they could be together because Sean Eckard was breaking up with her.

On Monday, Chief Assistant Public Defender Alan Fanter asked Tatti for leniency, noting that a long prison term would only add to the parents' pain.

"We ask the court to give the Eckard family some hope of getting back together as a family," he said.

Magrino asked Tatti to send Eckard to prison for life.

"He's a sociopath that should not come out of prison except in a supine position," Magrino said.

When Tatti announced his verdict, the Eckards once again began to sob.

"Fifty years!" Donna Eckard said, again and again.

"Fifty years!"

Reach Tony Marrero at [email protected] or (352) 848-1431. Follow @tmarrerotimes on Twitter.

Spring Hill man who killed, buried brother sentenced to 50 years in prison 05/13/13 [Last modified: Monday, May 13, 2013 11:11pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. What to expect from the Florida Orchestra's 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' show

    Events

    With just a few short tings from the celesta, a small piano-style instrument, and you're instantly transported to Harry Potter's wizarding world.

    Courtesy of the Straz Center
  2. Police: Boy, 12, burglarized Melrose Elementary during Hurricane Irma

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — A 12-year-old boy is facing a felony charge after police say he burglarized Melrose Elementary while the school was closed for Hurricane Irma.

    Melrose Elementary at 1752 13th Ave. S in St. Petersburg was burglarized while the school was closed for Hurricane Irma. A 12-year-old boy has been charged, police said. [DIRK SHADD   |   Times]
  3. How Jameis Winston's turnovers doomed the Bucs again

    Bucs

    The Bucs' rise or fall is based on the play of quarterback Jameis Winston. His failure to take care of the football was arguably the biggest factor in their 34-17 loss to the Minnesota Vikings Sunday.

    Jameis Winston has turned the football over 25 times in 17 road games. [MONICA HERNDON | Times]
  4. Wrenching photos show hurricane battered Puerto Rico on brink of crisis

    Hurricanes

    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — As life in Puerto Rico grinds on nearly a week after Hurricane Maria knocked out all the power, most of the water and left people waiting in excruciating lines for fuel, Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló said the island was on the brink of a "humanitarian crisis" and it was up to Congress to …

    Residents bathe in a natural spring in the hill town of Toa Alta, Puerto Rica, Monday, Sept. 25, 2017. As life in Puerto Rico grinds on nearly a week after the Category 4 storm knocked out all the power, most of the water and left people waiting in excruciating lines for fuel, Gov. Ricardo Rossello said Monday that the island was on the brink of a "humanitarian crisis." [Victor J. Blue | New York Times]
  5. New 'Game of Thrones' concert experience coming to Amalie Arena in Tampa

    Blogs

    More music is coming.

    A new, live Game of Thrones concert experience is coming to Amalie Arena in Tampa on Sept. 21, 2018, the venue announced today. That may seem like a long way off, but with no new season on HBO's immediate horizon, that's probably the next taste of Game of Thrones you're going to get for a …