TAMPA — Prosecutors have extended plea deals to the three remaining suspects accused of raping their flag football teammate with a hockey stick and a broom at Walker Middle School. They are not disclosing the offers.
But Norman Cannella, the attorney for 15-year-old Lee Louis Myers, said his client got the same deal the fourth youth, 15-year-old Randall Moye, accepted last month: A felony battery charge with juvenile sanctions in exchange for truthful testimony against his co-defendants.
In the summer, prosecutors charged all of the teens with four counts of adult felony sexual battery. They have since dropped two of those charges against Myers because he was able to prove he was at baseball practice when some of the assaults were said to have occurred.
Cannella said Myers has not rejected the offer, but that they will continue to interview witnesses before making a decision.
The others have also maintained their "not guilty" pleas.
Prosecutors have said the 13-year-old victim endured a two-month reign of terror in the spring of 2009. That students heard his screams as he was raped multiple times with a broom and hockey stick in the school's locker room by youths who threatened they were going to "get" him.
The victim eventually spoke when a coach, noticing tension among the students, asked what was wrong.
Defense attorneys have said two medical exams have said showed no signs of sexual assault on the victim. A state crime lab analysis could not determine whether traces of DNA found on a hockey stick and a broom belonged to the teenage suspects.
An attorney for Raymond Price-Murray, 15, did not disclose his client's offer. And an attorney for Diemante J. Roberts, 16, could not be reached for comment.
Lawyers for all three youths were in court Monday. They said they still needed to conduct depositions on six to 10 more people, including the young victim and Moye.
In 60 days, they will return to court, and a judge could set a trial date.
Reach Alexandra Zayas at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 226-3354.