TAMPA — A judge on Thursday ruled that the ankle monitor of one of four students charged in the Walker Middle School sexual battery case should be removed, a day after lifting the curfew of another suspect.
Judge Wayne S. Timmerman said Raymond Price-Murray, 14, who lives in Hernando County, should be allowed to go to public school in Hillsborough County and visit his father in Miami without the monitor.
Price-Murray and three others were charged as adults with four counts each of sexual battery after authorities accused them of raping another student with a hockey stick and broomstick in April.
Price-Murray has been going to virtual school for the past semester, taking classes online. Defense attorney Bryant Camareno said the ninth-grader has all A's and B's and that the Hillsborough County School Board has said it would be willing to take him at Steinbrenner High School.
"He wants to enjoy and participate in high school life," Camareno said. "He has had no complaints and no violations."
Assistant State Attorney Kimberly Hindman warned that Price-Murray was enjoying school life at the time of his alleged attack.
The victim is a grade behind Price-Murray and would not be at Price-Murray's new school, Camareno said.
Timmerman said it didn't seem Price-Murray posed a threat to the community and that he's followed all the conditions set by the court.
"I'm going to grant your wishes," Timmerman said. "But he better not stub his toe. I want him to understand — he does something stupid, and he'll find himself somewhere he doesn't want to be."
In court on Wednesday, Timmerman removed the curfew of another suspect, Lee Louis Myers.
Last month, Myers' sexual battery charges were dropped from four to two counts after prosecutors learned that Myers was at baseball practice during some of the alleged attacks.
Price-Murray's curfew will remain intact.