Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Developer wins round in long-disputed Bayshore Boulevard condo project

TAMPA — An appeals court ruling Wednesday allows a developer to seek millions in damages and legal fees from the city for unlawfully denying the company's 2004 plan for a Bayshore Boulevard condominium tower.

Tampa City Attorney Chip Fletcher said the city is evaluating its options and may appeal the decision to the Florida Supreme Court.

In 2005, the City Council blocked Citivest Construction Corp.'s proposal to build a 24-story condo tower at Bayshore Boulevard and DeSoto Avenue.

Citivest claimed the denial was unlawful, and a judge agreed months later. The ruling was upheld on appeal.

The City Council relented and approved a revised plan to build a 19-story tower.

The city's Architectural Review Commission also later approved the new plan.

Citivest attorney Scott McLaren said the project is stalled, but the company hopes it will go forward in the future.

After Citivest won in court, the firm sought millions in damages and legal fees from the city.

It lost an earlier round, but on Wednesday, the 2nd District Court of Appeal reversed that decision, clearing the way for Citivest to return to court.

Citivest "would have sold those condos and made a very nice sum on this project, but the city unlawfully denied it," McLaren said. This decision "entitles us to move forward and have our day in court."

Developer wins round in long-disputed Bayshore Boulevard condo project 04/07/11 [Last modified: Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:58pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Water leak slows traffic in Westshore area

    Public Safety

    TAMPA –– A broken water main has closed the westbound lane of West Cypress Street between North Westshore Boulevard and North Ward Street. The city estimates the repairs will be completed by 7 a.m. on Sunday.

  2. Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Nation

    NEW YORK (AP) — The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

    Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly appears on the Fox News show, "The O'Reilly Factor," in New York. O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel in April following reports that several women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. [Associated Press file]
  3. Conviction overturned 30 years later in neo-Nazi murder case

    Criminal

    TAMPA — A judge on Friday overturned the murder conviction of Dean McKee now that new evidence has raised doubt about McKee's guilt in a Tampa slaying that occurred nearly three decades ago when he was 16.

    In 1987, a St. Petersburg Times reporter interviewed Dean McKee for a story about young skinheads in Tampa. [Times | 1987]
  4. Experts have some theories on who's carrying out Seminole Heights killings

    Crime

    The words serial killer tend to conjure an image of a middle-aged white man, likely a loner. He stabs or chokes or strangles, murdering up close for the thrill, straight out of central casting.

    A memorial was set up where Anthony Naiboa, 20, was found shot to death in Seminole Heights. Some experts who have reviewed information in the case say that whoever is behind the three Seminole Heights killings may live in the area. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL  |  Times]
  5. Late fumble, field goal send Florida State to another loss

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher didn't have an explanation for the turning point in Saturday's 31-28 last-second loss to Louisville.

    Louisville's Lamar Jackson gets past Florida State's Matthew Thomas to score in the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, in Tallahassee Fla. (AP Photo/Steve Cannon) FLSC102