Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Disbarred lawyer Richard Da Fonte gets 14 years for stealing from clients

Richard Da Fonte, the disbarred Clearwater lawyer accused of stealing more than $1.7 million from clients, was sentenced to 14 years in prison and 15 years' probation.

Da Fonte, 51, also has been ordered to make financial restitution to the people and institutions he stole from and to pay court costs.

Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Joseph A. Bulone sentenced the disgraced lawyer late Friday afternoon in a courtroom packed with his family and friends, many of whom had earlier formed a circle in the hall to pray. The small courtroom was so crowded that Bulone invited some to sit in the jury box and in extra seats nearby.

Some of Da Fonte's victims were also present.

Shakawat Hossain of St. Petersburg hired Da Fonte in 2003. He said the lawyer stole about $235,000, money he planned to use to buy a gas station and convenience store. The Bangladeshi immigrant says the theft has taken a toll on his health and ruined him financially. His home is in foreclosure and he is worried about his children's future. Instead of owning a gas station and convenience store, he and his wife now work for one.

Pinellas Park resident Sharon Dore and her family lost $110,000 when they hired Da Fonte to handle the sale of her late mother's St. Petersburg home. The money was supposed to go to Dore, her daughter and a brother.

Joan Kelly, a widow, paid for her Seminole home in full in April 2007. That summer, while she was in Cape Cod, she began getting calls from lawyers offering help with a problem. It was foreclosure. Da Fonte had taken almost $200,000 meant to pay her home's previous owners.

Winnie Yang of Clearwater couldn't wait to have her say during the lengthy hearing. The lawyer stole $400,000 from her brother-in-law Kenneth Yang, who lives in Texas. The money was from a real estate transaction involving Yang, her husband and her brother-in-law.

"He lied to me. I trusted him. He knew he was going to be disbarred, but he still took our case. Look in my eye, Mr. Da Fonte,'' she said.

"He forged Kenneth Yang's signature. He told me he is well-to-do. … He stole from a restaurant worker. He stole his retirement money. … Where's your Mercedes-Benz? Where is your boat? Where did you hide the $1.7 million? Where is it?''

Before Da Fonte's victims spoke, they listened impatiently as his priest, fellow parishioners, sister, brother-in-law, a mother whose son he mentored in Boy Scouts, lawyer friends and others begged for leniency. What he did was out of character, they said. He made a mistake and should be allowed to stay out of prison so he can work to pay back the money he took.

"I believe from what I understand, Mr. Da Fonte is very remorseful for what happened,'' Father Pat Rebel of St. Matthew's Catholic Church in Largo said.

Alan Hafez, a businessman, made an impassioned plea, calling Da Fonte his rock and mentor.

"Please give him another chance. Please give him another chance,'' the Egyptian immigrant said, sobbing.

"I have no excuse,'' Da Fonte said when it was time for him to speak. "When I took the money, I always believed I had the ability to pay it back.''

Larry Sandefer, his Clearwater lawyer, said Da Fonte had cooperated with the State Attorney's Office. He said his client had gotten involved with a business transaction that was unfamiliar to him and had dipped into his clients' trust account to get himself out of a financial hole.

"As he tried to do that, he had to continue to pay his office staff, his monthly bills,'' Sandefer said.

When everything fell apart, Da Fonte approached him for legal help.

"He wanted to turn himself in,'' the lawyer said.

Sandefer said his client had hoped to pay back his victims from the sale of his business, real estate and life insurance. The business, though, which Da Fonte sold to a former associate, is tied up in a legal dispute. Foreclosure is pending on his office condominium, and his home is in foreclosure, Sandefer said. His $3 million life insurance has lapsed.

Assistant State Attorney Kendall Davidson is satisfied with Da Fonte's sentence. "But I am concerned for my victims, because obviously, they're not seeing any reimbursement quickly,'' he said.

"I'm skeptical that he'll ever be able to repay.''

Waveney Ann Moore can be reached at wmoore@sptimes.com or (727) 892-2283.

Disbarred lawyer Richard Da Fonte gets 14 years for stealing from clients 03/24/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. What was Rays RF Steven Souza Jr. thinking on that comically bad dive?

    Blogs

    What could Rays RF Steven Souza Jr. been thinking in the seventh inning Friday when he dove for a ball and came up yards short?

    Actually, he insisted after all the laughing, teasing and standing ovation from the Twins fans was done, it was a matter of self-preservation.

  2. Judge tosses life sentences for D.C. sniper Lee Boyd Malvo

    Nation

    McLEAN, Va. — A federal judge on Friday tossed out two life sentences for one of Virginia's most notorious criminals, sniper Lee Boyd Malvo, and ordered Virginia courts to hold new sentencing hearings.

    A federal judge has tossed out two life sentences for D.C. sniper shooter Lee Boyd Malvo. [Associated Press, 2004]
  3. Zbigniew Brzezinski, President Carter's national security adviser, dies

    News

    Zbigniew Brzezinski, the hawkish strategic theorist who was national security adviser to President Jimmy Carter in the tumultuous years of the Iran hostage crisis and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the late 1970s, died on Friday at a hospital in Virginia. He was 89.

    Zbigniew Brzezinski, former national security adviser to President Jimmy Carter, participates in Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on Capitol Hill on March 5, 2009, in Washington, D.C. [Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images]
  4. USF eliminated by UCF in AAC baseball; Florida, FSU, Miami win

    Colleges

    CLEARWATER — Roughly 16 hours after a ninth-inning collapse against East Carolina in the American Athletic Conference's double-elimination baseball tournament, USF returned to Spectrum Field presumably set for a reboot.

    It simply got booted instead.

    ’NOLES win: Tyler Holton gets a hug from Drew Carlton after his strong eight innings help Florida State beat Louisville.
  5. Pinellas licensing board executive director settled hundreds of cases without getting his board's approval

    Local Government

    By Mark Puente

    Times Staff Writer

    Eleanor Morrison complained to the Pinellas licensing board in 2015 that her contractor installed crooked walls and windows and poured too much concrete for her carport.

    Eleanor Morrison poses at her home in Treasure Island, 5/26/17. Morrison filed a complaint with the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board and later learned that its former Executive Director, Rodney Fischer, dismissed the case in a private meeting with the contractor.