Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Man pleads guilty in Tampa bomb-for-hire plot

TAMPA — The man accused of making a bomb and attempting to blow up a vehicle in exchange for $8,000 earlier this year pleaded guilty to a murder-for-hire charge Monday, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

John Nicholas Coors, 20, of Bradenton faces a maximum of 10 years in federal prison. He will be sentenced in the next 30 to 90 days.

Authorities arrested Coors in April after, they say, he built a bomb at the request of an undercover officer and tried to detonate it in a car with another undercover agent inside.

It all started about a year ago when a man who knew Coors told an FBI agent that Coors was making bombs, according to a federal affidavit.

An undercover officer approached Coors and, during the recorded meetings, Coors agreed to build a bomb capable of killing at least two people sitting in a car, the affidavit states. He said he wanted $8,000 and a month to build the device.

An undercover officer told Coors he had some dynamite for the device and Coors agreed to use it, the affidavit states. But the dynamite was actually inert.

On April 23, the officer met with Coors and went to a Tampa hotel to construct the device. The name of the hotel was not released. Coors showed the officer how to build and improve the device, the affidavit states.

He and the officer drove toward downtown Tampa and arrived at the "victim's" vehicle. Coors broke into the vehicle and put the bomb in the center seat area and returned to the undercover officer's vehicle, the affidavit states.

When the "victim" got into the car, Coors pressed the button on the triggering device. When it failed to detonate, he panicked and continually pressed the button, the affidavit states.

He was arrested afterward.

Man pleads guilty in Tampa bomb-for-hire plot 08/02/10 [Last modified: Monday, August 2, 2010 11:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. What to watch this weekend: 'The Last Tycoon,' 'Room 104,' 'Rick and Morty'

    Blogs

    Checking in: Room 104

    Listen up, fans of Hitchcock and American Horror Story. Room 104 might be your next obsession. With a premise that feels experimental, Room 104 explores one of film's most traditional styles - telling a story from the inside of just one room. The HBO series is from …

    Each episode of Room 104 follows the guests of a single motel rom and the strange and wonderful things they experience.
  2. Rubio: I intend to keep campaign promises on Obamacare

    Blogs

    WASHINGTON - Sen. Marco Rubio says he remains committed to overturning Obamacare following the collapse of the latest attempt.

  3. Family spokeswoman: British baby Charlie Gard has died

    World

    LONDON — Charlie Gard, the critically ill British baby at the center of a legal battle that attracted the attention of Pope Francis and U.S. President Donald Trump, has died. He would have turned 1 next week.

    This is an undated photo of sick baby Charlie Gard provided by his family, taken at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. [Family of Charlie Gard via AP]
  4. Editorial: Here's one way Florida courts can measure a quality education

    Editorials

    The question before the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee is whether Florida is following its constitutional duty to provide a high-quality education to public school students. The point was originally raised in a lawsuit brought by advocacy and parents groups and dismissed by a circuit judge in 2016. When it …

    The question before the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee is whether Florida is following its constitutional duty to provide a high-quality education to public school students.
  5. Paul Shanley, ex-priest in Boston sex abuse scandal, released from prison

    Nation

    BOSTON — A notorious figure in Boston's Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal was quietly released from prison Friday morning after completing a 12-year sentence for the rape of a boy in the 1980s.

    This undated identification photo released via the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board website shows Paul Shanley, released Friday from the Old Colony Correctional Center in Bridgewater, Mass. Shanley, now 86, was a figure in the Boston Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal. He was released after completing a 12-year sentence for the rape of a boy in the 1980s. [Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board via AP]