Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

One of two brothers accused of murder pleads guilty in Pasco case

With help from attorney Bjorn Brunvand, right, Alexandre R. Gonzalez pleads guilty to a lesser charge in the murder case.

BRENDAN FITTERER | Times

With help from attorney Bjorn Brunvand, right, Alexandre R. Gonzalez pleads guilty to a lesser charge in the murder case.

Alexandre Gonzalez

Alexandre Gonzalez, 20

Luis Gonzalez

Luis Gonzalez, 23

NEW PORT RICHEY — A brother accused of shooting a Port Richey man to death and burning his body to cover up the crime pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of second-degree murder.

Alexandre R. Gonzalez, 20, and Luis A. Gonzalez Jr., 22, were both arrested in June of last year and charged with first-degree homicide. Authorities say the two men killed Richard W. Martinez, 25, on May 13, 2012. His body was found inside a Chevrolet Impala in the woods near Poco Loop in Moon Lake Estates.

Alexandre Gonzalez pleaded before Circuit Judge William Webb on Monday. He was sentenced to 30 years in prison with 25 years minimum mandatory time, due to Florida's firearm statute.

Alexandre Gonzalez had previously tried to plead on Friday, but Judge Webb didn't let him based on what Webb called Alexandre Gonzalez's bravado. Alexandre Gonzalez told Webb he wasn't satisfied with his representation or the deal.

This time, Alexandre Gonzalez simply said "yes sir" when Webb addressed him.

Martinez's father was present in the courthouse and agreed to the sentence, according to Assistant State Attorney Chris Sprowls.

Alexandre Gonzalez's family was also present in the courtroom. His mother told him she loved him as he was taken away.

Luis Gonzalez's pending trial is a capital felony case, and he could potentially face the death penalty if convicted.

One of two brothers accused of murder pleads guilty in Pasco case 10/21/13 [Last modified: Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:07pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. President Trump: Nation's culture being 'ripped apart' by Civil War statue removals

    National

    WASHINGTON — Showing his characteristic refusal to back down in the face of criticism, President Donald Trump deepened his defense of Confederate war memorials Thursday, sending out a series of messages on Twitter that adopted the language and arguments of white nationalists who have opposed their removal.

    President Donald Trump points to members of the media as he answers questions in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York on Tuesday. Republican leaders on Wednesday tiptoed around Trump's extraordinary comments on white supremacists.  [Associated Press]
  2. With election heating up, Bill Nelson floods Tampa Bay

    Blogs

    Sen. Bill Nelson seems to have set up a residency in Tampa Bay, a crucial area for his upcoming re-election campaign.

    Nelson campaigns with his wife in Orlando in 2012
  3. Martinez Middle School evacuated after bomb threat

    Crime

    LUTZ — Bob Martinez Middle School has been evacuated after someone called in a bomb threat, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said.

  4. Another local Confederate display sparks division, this one over name of the war

    News

    TAMPA — While the Hillsborough County commission was wrestling over the future of Confederate monument at the county courthouse, a lawsuit has been playing out in court over how best to represent the Civil War across town at Veterans Memorial Park.

    Supporters of a Civil War display at Veterans Memorial Park and Museum had a brochure made to attract donations. They argue in a lawsuit that their efforts were thwarted when the park's executive committee changed their plans.
  5. Myrtle Avenue closed, man hospitalized after Clearwater bike crash

    Accidents

    CLEARWATER — Myrtle Avenue is closed in both directions following a bicycle crash that hospitalized a man with serious injuries.