Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

As deadline approaches, only 3 have applied to be Florida education chief

Quality over quantity.

That's the mantra search firm officials are emphasizing as they near the May 25 deadline for applicants to lead Florida's massive public educational system.

So far, Ray and Associates has received just three completed applications, according to the company's executive search assistant. They are Thomas Goodman, a former charter school superintendent out of La Jolla, Calif.; Bessie Karvelas, district chief instructional officer for Chicago public schools; and Carlos Lopez, superintendent of the River Rouge School District in Michigan.

But Bill Adams and Gary Ray of Ray and Associates told members of the state Board of Education Tuesday that they don't expect the most qualified candidates to submit applications until the last minute, in part due to the state's Sunshine Laws.

"You can go out and get a bunch of numbers, but that's not what we're after," Adams said.

The pair reassured the board they are in contact with those candidates they feel would best fit the profile of the person the board and Gov. Scott would like to fill the seat, soon to be vacated by Eric Smith.

"It's not a question of receiving a pile of paper," said state board member John Padget. "It's a question of reaching the right people."

After their presentation, Adams and Ray said that the firm has collected about 200 names of potential candidates, 30 of whom Adams or Ray have spoken with directly. But Adams said they expect that there are "probably about a dozen max in the country," who can do the job of Florida's educational commissioner.

"This is a very challenging position and there are only a handful of people who are going to meet the expectations of the position," Ray said.

The Board of Education meets on June 1, at which time it hopes to interview several candidates. Smith, with the Department of Education since 2007, resigns his position June 10.

As deadline approaches, only 3 have applied to be Florida education chief 05/17/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:36pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Will new laws protect condo owners from apartment conversions and rogue associations?

    Real Estate

    Danny Di Nicolantonio has lived in St. Petersburg's Calais Village Condominums for 33 years. Annoyed at times by the actions, or inaction, of the condo board and property managers, he has complained to the state agency that is supposed to investigate.

    That has left him even more annoyed.

    A bill passed by the Florida Legislature would affect places like The Slade in Tampa's Channelside district, where cCondominium owners have battled a plan to convert homes into apartments.
[Times file photo]
  2. Walmart opens first Pinellas County in-house training academy

    Retail

    Seminole — It had all the hallmarks of a typical graduation: robe-clad graduates marching in to Pomp and Circumstance, friends and family packed together under a sweltering tent and a lineup of speakers encouraging the graduates to take charge of their future.

    New Walmart Academy graduates are congratulated Thursday morning by associates during a graduation ceremony at the Walmart store, 10237 Bay Pines Boulevard, St. Petersburg. The Walmart location is one of the company's training academies where managers complete a one week retail course. David Shultz and Richard Sheehan, both from St. Petersburg, get high fives from the crowd.
[SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]

  3. Four questions with Largo City Commissioner Michael Smith before he helps lead the St. Pete Pride parade

    Human Interest

    A decade ago, Largo City Commissioner Michael Smith was afraid to tell his friends and family he was gay.

    Largo City Commissioner Michael Smith will serve as a grand marshal at the St. Pete Pride parade on Saturday. [City of Largo]
  4. Lawsuit: Florida contractor fakes death to dodge angry homeowners

    Human Interest

    SEMINOLE — For weeks, Glenn Holland, 67, crawled out of bed before the sun rose to look for a dead man.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  5. What you need to know for Friday, June 23

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Graffiti butts are everywhere in downtown St. Pete. What's going on? [CHRISTOPHER SPATA | Times]