• Wesley Chapel High School senior Cassandra Deal has been named the Pasco County High School Career and Technical Education Student of the Year for 2010. Cassandra is a student in the high school's business education department and is the president of the school and district chapters of Florida Business Leaders of America. Cassandra will attend Western New England College in Springfield, Mass., where she plans to pursue a double major in creative writing and business administration. After college, she looks forward to a career in editing and publishing. She will be honored for her achievement at the Excellence in Academics Award Ceremony on Thursday at the Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel.
• Calusa Elementary Invention Convention winners: Vincent Smith, Brady Rife, Carly Jones, Sierra O'Donnell, Sayla Bove, Genesis Medina-Ortiz, Payton Fisher and Kylie Rice.
• The following band students from Rushe Middle School received a "Superior" rating at the Regional Florida Bandmasters Association District 5 Solo Festival: Libbi Ponce, Miranda Maury, Courtney Makal, Aria Hansen, Sydney Grant, Arialle Perry, BoEn Liu, Joshua Vega, Kianny Calvo, Adrienne Koeck, Emily Cunningham, TuLoan Ly, Jordan Mark, Randall Tate and Hayden Hunter.
• Pasco High School Diversified Cooperative Training students recently participated in the DCT State Competition in Orlando. The following students were named winners and now qualify for the Business Professional of America National Competition May 5-9 in Anaheim, Calif.: Hannah Hollander, first place career skills, fifth place economics, sixth place financial math; Brittni Surratt, first place medical office procedures; Chaz Brown, second place information technology; Heather Ashmore, second place child care; Nikki Hamory, third place color photography; Taylor Chamblee, third place child care, fifth place career skills; Cori Grove, fourth place business communication; Cameron Drake, fifth place criminal justice; Caitlin Dozack and Erin Clanahan, sixth place video production team.
• Wesley Chapel Elementary School has received the Bronze National Recognition Award from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation for creating a healthier environment for students and staff. The school has improved the nutrition in school lunches, promoted physical activity before, during and after school, and focused on stress reduction and relaxation techniques for students and staff, resulting in a more energetic school population.
• Hudson Middle School students on the seventh grade pre-algebra team paced first in the District Math Competition on March 23. Team members are Cole Weinhauer, Devin Moore and Mackenzie Marques, who also took second place as overall individual winner.
Centennial Middle School students participated in the Gulf Coast Regional Odyssey of the Mind Tournament in February. The Nature Trail'R team placed first overall. The Food Court team won the Ranatra Fusca for displaying the highest level of creativity and problem solving. Nature Trail'R Discovered Treasures team members are Emily Mulholland, Rachael Hargrove Kristen Valle, Emily White, Devon Grannis, Maritza Acosta and Ben Morrison. Food Court team members: McKenzie Clayberger, Andrew Rowicki, Traiver Graham, Joshua Cooey, Ami Shannon and Jordan Allison.