Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Florida Board of Governors approves 7 percent tuition hike

In a move that likely surprised no one, the state Board of Governors on Thursday approved 7 percent tuition differential requests at each of Florida's 11 public universities. With the 8 percent hike approved by the Legislature earlier this year, it brings next year's total tuition increase to 15 percent — the most allowed by state law.

The board, which oversees the state university system, gave the final rubber stamp at the end of its two-day meeting at the University of South Florida. Tico Perez, chairman of the board's budget committee, called the move "a necessary evil."

"The goal is to provide the best education possible," he said.

More than ever, the university system is looking to tuition increases as a way to bolster budget shortfalls, particularly as state funding has declined steadily the past several years. Even with the new increase, Florida remains 48th out of 50 states in terms of tuition cost.

Nevertheless, it's not an easy sell.

Michael Long, the board's student representative, voted against differential requests for Florida Gulf Coast University and the University of North Florida as a show of solidarity to their student body presidents, who opposed the hikes.

While Long, himself, reluctantly supported the tuition increases, the 19-year-old student at New College stressed the importance of financial aid at the same time. And he said he hoped the increases would soon lead to more teachers on campus and better education overall. University leaders continually point to Florida's high student-faculty ratios as a place that needs improvement.

"We're paying more but not necessarily receiving more next year," he said.

Florida Board of Governors approves 7 percent tuition hike 06/23/11 [Last modified: Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:40pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Housing starts fall in July

    Real Estate

    WASHINGTON — The Commerce Department said Wednesday that housing starts fell 4.8 percent in July to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.16 million. Groundbreakings for multi-family buildings such as apartments slumped 17.1 percent, while single-family house construction slipped 0.5 percent.

    On Wednesday, the Commerce Department reported on U.S. home construction in July. 
[AP file photo]
  2. Pasco doubles tourist tax to finance sports complex


    DADE CITY — Pasco County is doubling its tourist tax to 4 percent to build an indoor sports complex in Wesley Chapel and improve its outdoor boat ramps in west Pasco.

    Pasco County's plan to double its tourist tax on overnight accommodations to 4 percent is intended to help finance a $25 million sports complex in the Wiregrass Ranch area of Wesley Chapel. It  would include a 98,000-quare-foot multipurpose gymnaisium of eight basketball courts and dedicated space for gymnastics, cheerleading and a fitness center. Shown here is the four-court fieldhouse with 50,000-square-feet of space for competitions at  Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.  Times photo by James Borchuck (2007)
  3. 5 things to do under $5: Where to see solar eclipse, Bucs training camp


    1 Solar eclipse: Turn around, bright eyes. Monday brings a total eclipse of the sun, and you'll need protective eyewear to see it. The bay area won't be plunged into darkness for a few minutes like the middle of the country, but with solar lenses you can see this rare event. The Museum of Science and Industry, …

    This photo shows a “diamond ring” shape during the 2016 total solar eclipse in Indonesia. For the 2017 eclipse over the United States, the National Science Foundation-funded movie project nicknamed Citizen CATE will have more than 200 volunteers trained and given special small telescopes and tripods to observe the sun at 68 locations in the exact same way.
  4. Florida man has some of Princess Di's wedding cake, plus 13,000 other royal items (w/photos)

    Human Interest

    John Hoatson recalls the day it all began with perfect clarity.

    John Hoatson poses with a photo taken in 2006 when he met Sarah "Fergie"; Ferguson, the Duchess of York, for tea at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in California.
  5. Les Miller on Charlottesville: 'This is not what we should be about'


    TAMPA -- In the aftermath of the violent protests in Charlottesville, Va., and ahead of today's continued conversation on Tampa's Confederate monument, Hillsborough County Commissioner Les Miller on Wednesday looked to inspire unity in an invocation that a colleague called "inspirational."

    Hillsborough County Commissioner Les Miller prayed for unity during Wednesday's Hillsborough County Commission meeting, following the violent protests in Charlottesville that left 19 injured and one dead.