Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

House plan raises tuition, tightens Bright Futures standards

TALLAHASSEE — State university tuition would go up and Bright Futures eligibility requirements would be tightened under a draft House higher education budget released Wednesday that has to offset the universities' loss of $150 million in federal stimulus money.

"This is a dose of reality," Rep. Marlene O'Toole, R-Lady Lake, told her colleagues.

Under the House's $5.7 billion spending plan:

• The Legislature would raise tuition 5 percent, leaving universities the option of raising it another 10 percent for a total 15 percent hike, the maximum allowed under state law. Last year, the Legislature increased base tuition 8 percent and universities went up another 7 percent.

• Students would have to meet higher standards to qualify for Bright Futures, the merit-based scholarships primarily funded by the lottery: an SAT score of 1300 instead of 1280 for the highest tier and 100 community service hours vs. the current 75. This would be on top of significant changes the Legislature made last year to Bright Futures, boosting penalties for students who don't maintain academic requirements and reducing the amount of time recipients have to graduate. Students also receive $1 less per credit hour.

• Homeschoolers would have to raise their SAT scores from 1070 to 1220 and do 75 hours of community service to qualify as Medallion Scholars, the second tier of Bright Futures.

• Residents who enroll in adult education courses would owe $90 annual tuition. Currently, they pay nothing.

O'Toole's plan cuts not only university funding, but also public colleges, private colleges, district workforce boards and vocational rehabilitation and blind services, all of which lost significant amounts of federal money.

Senators who oversee higher education spending indicated this week that they, too, would be open to raising student tuition to help offset budget cuts.

Florida tuition and fees went up 15.6 percent between fiscal year 2009 and 2010, the second-highest increase in the country. Even so, Florida students pay on average the third-lowest tuition and fees in the country, according to the state Board of Governors.

Jodie Tillman can be reached at jtillman@sptimes.com or (850) 933-1321.

House plan raises tuition, tightens Bright Futures standards 03/16/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:07pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Southern Heritage group draws fire for posting personal information of Confederate statue opponents

    Politics

    TAMPA — Curtiss Wilson is an 89-year-old Tampa resident who fought in the civil rights movement.

    A report by Save Southern Heritage Florida includes the "affiliation" of more than 100 people who spoke at the July 19 commission meeting in favor of removing  the Confederate monument from in front of the old county courthouse in Tampa. People on the list say the report was meant to intimidate and harrass opponents of the monument. Save Southern Heritage director Doug Guetzloe said the report is "opposition research" meant to to inform elected officials about who was speaking on the issue.
[Save Southern Heritage Florida]
  2. Gen. Votel interview: 'A bit of a stalemate' in Afghanistan, but a chance to optimize gains there

    Military

    In developing the plan for the war in Afghanistan that he announced Monday night, President Donald Trump consulted with advisers including his military leaders throyugh their chain of command.

  3. Water Street Tampa unveils illustrations showing downtown's transformation

    Business

    TAMPA — Water Street Tampa, the sweeping, 50-plus acre redevelopment project in Tampa's urban core, has unveiled new images and video of what the downtown district will look like upon completion.

    Strategic Property Partners released a conceptual image of what the Tampa skyline will look like once its redevelopment of 50-plus acres of downtown will look like. [Photo courtesy of  of SPP]
  4. Bill Nelson shares Rick Scott's cautious stance on Confederate monuments

    Blogs

    On the issue of Confederate monuments, Sen. Bill Nelson is taking the cautious route of Gov. Rick Scott.

  5. St. Pete Beach to vote on loosening drinking rules for hotel guests

    News

    ST. PETE BEACH — The city commission will vote Tuesday night whether to allow alcohol on the beach.

    Registered hotel guests would be able to drink alcoholic beverages at their cabanas on the beach under a new rule the St. Pete Beach City Commission is considering. [Times files]