District releases graduation schedules
Just four more weeks of senioritis, and graduation is here.
Hillsborough County high schools announced the following graduation dates and times:
• Armwood, 3 p.m. June 2, University of South Florida Sun Dome.
• Bloomingdale, 8 p.m. May 29, USF Sun Dome.
• Brandon, 7 p.m. June 2, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• Durant, 8 p.m. May 30, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• East Bay, 3 p.m. May 28, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• Lennard, 7 p.m. June 3, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• Newsome, noon May 29, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• Plant City, 4 p.m. May 29, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• Riverview, 4 p.m. June 4, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
• South County Career Center, 3 p.m., May 30 at the school, 2810 John Sherman Way, Ruskin.
• Spoto, 7 p.m. May 28, State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
Riverview principal honored for leadership
Riverview High School principal Robert Heilmann recently won a $5,000 grant for his school.
Heilmann received the grant as part of the 2008 MetLife Foundation Ambassadors In Education Award. The national award program recognizes the most collaborative public school principals in 25 cities, including Tampa.
All middle and high school principals in Hillsborough County were eligible. Several of Heilmann's colleagues and community members nominated him for the award last month.
"Under the leadership of Mr. Heilmann, Riverview High School is known in the community as a very friendly place for students, parents, community members, faculty members and staff," said J. Vince Thompson, a retired school principal, and one of the many who nominated Heilmann. "Not only has he built relationships among local businesses and organizations, he and his students are reaching out to local elementary schools and offering tutoring services for younger students in the community who are struggling."
According to the district, the Ambassadors In Education Award recognizes exemplary school principals who build partnerships with community organizations, parents and guardians; resolve conflicts and promote safety in the school and the community; or promote civic engagement and community service.