Hernando County students are invited to apply for the following scholarships available through local organizations:
• American Legion Auxiliary Unit 186 is offering scholarships to Post 186 family members and Hernando County veterans' family members who are pursuing a career in nursing. The scholarship must be used during the 2009-10 school year. Applications are available at the post, 12091 Cortez Blvd. (at the entrance to High Point). The deadline is noon Sunday. Call Fran Finley at (352) 686-1820.
• Spring Hill Art League will award several $1,000 visual arts scholarships to graduating high school seniors. Scholarship applications are available in the guidance department at each Hernando County high school. The deadline to submit an application is March 10. Winners will be chosen through a portfolio submission process with interviews to be conducted March 19 at the high schools. Scholarships will be awarded in May at the league's annual awards potluck dinner. Homeschooled and private school seniors can call Louise Voscinar (352) 796-1189 for information.
• GlenLakes Garden Club is offering a $1,000 horticulture scholarship to graduating seniors. To be eligible, students must carry at least a 2.5 grade-point average and plan to major in a field such as horticulture, landscape design, environmental studies, botany, turf management or something related. Scholarship forms are available at all Hernando County high school guidance offices. Those who attend private school or are homeschooled can download the form from the Springstead High School Web site at www.hcsb.k12.fl.us/shs. Applications must be received no later than April 7.
• Hernando Jazz Society will award three $500 scholarships to students in the ninth through 12th grades. These scholarships are available for private instrumental or voice lessons. Applications must be received by April 10. Applicants must perform a solo with accompaniment (solos do not have to be in the jazz style). Accompaniment can be live or recorded. Auditions will be at 1 p.m. April 18 at First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Winners will be asked to perform at the May 17 gathering of the Hernando Jazz Society. For information or an application, call Louis Mauro at (352) 666-1749.
• Hernando Builders Association Spike Club will award three $500 scholarships to assist Hernando County public high school graduates interested in construction-oriented education (drafting, architecture and design, air conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, construction management, cost estimation, construction inspection, engineering and surveying). The scholarships are to be applied toward the cost of books and tuition. Applications are available in the guidance department at each high school, as well as at the HBA office, 7391 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. The application deadline is April 17. For information, call (352) 596-1114.