Students new to state will get free physicals
Hillsborough County Health & Social Services offers free physicals for children who have never attended a Florida school.
Physicals are only for school-age students accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, and participants will receive a free backpack and school supplies.
All locations except University Area Community Health Center require appointments and the student must bring an immunization record.
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Walden Lake Medical Arts Center, 1601 W Timberlane Drive in Plant City. Call 754-4444.
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Mintz Elementary School, 1510 Heather Lakes Blvd., in Brandon. Call 870-4747.
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Aug. 9 at Beth Shields Middle School, 3908 19th Ave. NE in Ruskin and also at Blake High School, 1701 N Boulevard, in Tampa. Call 870-4747.
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Aug. 16 at Town & Country Recreation Center, 6039 Hanley Road in Tampa. Call 870-4747.
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Aug. 16 at University Area Community Health Center, 13601 N 22nd St., in Tampa. Call 870-4747.
FANG school festival free; bring donations
The sixth annual FishHawk Area Networking Group Back to School Festival is from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday and features booths from local businesses and restaurants, music, martial arts and other demonstrations and exhibits of emergency vehicles.
The event is at Sunset Bay Chapel located near FishHawk Park Square at 6026 Churchside Drive.
Admission is free but festivalgoers are asked to bring a school supply or new socks and underwear.
The items will be distributed to needy children by the YMCA and Rotary Club of Brandon South. More than 400 students benefitted from last year's event.
FANG is an organization of more than 100 local business owners.
They meet at 7:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month.
Visit www.fangconnect.com or call Denise Graf at 643-0730 for more information.
YMCAs taking items for new school term
Brandon-area YMCAs are collecting school supplies, backpacks and other items to distribute during a back-to-school party at Aug. 9 at Camp Cristina in Riverview.
Donations of goods or cash are needed.
"There is a great need for these items among migrant families, children in foster care, and others in difficult family circumstances," according to Cindy Sofarelli, executive director of the Campo Family YMCA.
The YMCA has hosted a back-to-school supply drive for more than a decade in Hillsborough County .
Items and cash are being collected at the following locations through Sunday:
• Brandon Family YMCA, 3097 S Kingsway Road, Seffner. 685-5402
• Campo Family YMCA, 3414 Culbreath Road, Valrico. 684-1371
• FishHawk Ranch YMCA Express, 16144 Churchview Drive, Lithia. 651-4200
• YMCA Camp Cristina, 9840 Balm-Riverview Road, Riverview. 677-8400
• Fifth Third Bank branches in FishHawk Ranch, Valrico, Seffner, Riverview and Ruskin
• Wachovia Bank, 5606 Fishhawk Crossing Blvd., Lithia.
• Regions Bank, 6019 Winthrop Commerce Ave., Riverview
• Pilot Bank, 668 Oakfield Drive, Brandon.
MOSI open house for homeschool families
The Museum of Science and Industry holds an open house for homeschool families from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 11.
The event offers free admission to MOSI and a preview of homeschool programs for the upcoming year.
There are also science demonstrations and a 20 percent discount on MOSI memberships purchased at the open house.
Call 987-6000 or visit www.mosi.org for more information.
The Museum of Science and Industry is at 4801 E Fowler Ave.