Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Hillsborough school bus chaos irks parents

TAMPA — School officials will work extra hours over the weekend to answer questions from frustrated parents trying to learn where their children should catch a school bus Monday morning.

And at least for the first week of classes, any student waiting at a bus stop will be given a ride to and from school.

Those were among the measures announced Thursday by Hillsborough school officials following widespread reports that parents haven't received information on bus transportation just two business days before the start of the school year.

In recent days, the district has fielded hundreds of phone calls to the bus transportation center, where parents have encountered jammed lines and long waits on hold.

District officials blame a lightning strike for the phone problems. But they have no idea how many of the 35,000 letters detailing bus routes and stop locations never arrived at students' homes.

Many parents can't assume a school bus will show up at the same place as last year. The district has overhauled bus routes in south and central Tampa, the northern city and northwest Hills­borough.

On Thursday morning, Gayle Bernstein still didn't know where her three children would get on the bus. In the past week, she has spent hours trying to reach the transportation center.

"The whole thing's ridiculous. They've had months," the Hammond Elementary mother said. "What have you been doing? And why isn't it online?"

Parents across the county echoed her frustrations over a transportation overhaul that was supposed to improve busing in Hillsborough. The district held community meetings to discuss the changes in the spring and late summer, but many parents couldn't attend.

The information was detailed in letters mailed to all students eligible for transportation on Aug. 4. Schools spokeswoman Linda Cobbe said she didn't know why many parents didn't receive them.

She said individual schools received bus route information about a week later than usual. This was due to the magnitude of the changes this year.

"Hindsight, we've learned that our efforts at communicating did not meet the needs of the parents," Cobbe said.

To exacerbate the confusion, some parents may not have received letters because they are not eligible for transportation, even if it was provided in past years. The district is cutting back on courtesy transportation, including rides within 2 miles of a school. About 6,000 students no longer qualify for a bus ride.

Schools have responded to parent concerns differently. At Deer Park Elementary, principal Lou Cerreta fielded numerous calls from worried parents Wednesday.

He fired off an e-mail listing bus stops and times and letting parents know there will be a 10-day grace period for Deer Park students while bus passes arrive. Parental anxiety quickly eased.

"It's a very different day today. It is a very beautiful day. Folks just needed some questions answered," Cerreta said.

Principal Cecilia Troutt had phones ringing at Davis Elementary. She was glad when she finally had information to share with parents Thursday morning. She passed bus route details out to every classroom teacher so they could help parents at an open house scheduled for the evening.

She understands their concerns. Troutt has three children in the school system, but has received bus information for only one of them.

"It's just been a growth year," she said. "We're doing our best here."

Times staff writer Jared Leone contributed to this report. Letitia Stein can be reached at lstein@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3400. For more education news, visit the Gradebook at blogs.tampabay.com/schools.

Hillsborough school officials will be answering transportation questions over the weekend at 982-5500.

>>Fast Facts

Call this weekend

Hillsborough school

officials will be answering

transportation questions over the weekend at

(813) 982-5500.

Hillsborough school bus chaos irks parents 08/14/08 [Last modified: Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:29pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Car bomb kills 13, injures 24 in Baghdad; Islamic State claims responsibility

    World

    BAGHDAD — A car bomb exploded outside a popular ice cream shop in central Baghdad just after midnight today, killing 13 people and wounding 24, hospital and police officials said.

  2. Leaping shark floors angler in Australia

    World

    In The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway's protagonist battles for three days to pull in his prized catch. For Terry Selwood, it came a little more suddenly.

    A 9-foot shark lies on the deck of a fishing boat at Evans Head, Australia on Sunday. Fisherman Terry Selwood said he was left with a badly bruised and bleeding right arm where the shark struck him with a fin as it landed on him on the deck. [Lance Fountain via AP]
  3. Rays rally twice to beat Rangers (w/video)

    The Heater

    ARLINGTON, Texas — Starting Erasmo Ramirez on Monday after he closed out Sunday's marathon win turned out, despite the Rays' best intentions and rigid insistence, to be a bad idea as he gave up four runs without getting through three innings.

    Erasmo Ramirez, starting a day after closing a 15-inning marathon, struggles against the Rangers and comes out after throwing 43 pitches in 21/3 innings.
  4. Britain investigating missed signals over Manchester bomber

    World

    LONDON — Britain's domestic intelligence agency, MI5, is investigating its response to warnings from the public about the threat posed by Salman Abedi, the suicide bomber who killed 22 people and wounded dozens more in an attack at a crowded Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, last week.

    People gather Monday at St. Ann’s Square in Manchester, England, to view tributes to victims of the suicide bombing that killed 22 on May 22 as a concert by Ariana Grande was concluding.
  5. Trump condemns killing of pair who tried to stop racist rant

    Nation

    The mayor of Portland, Ore., on Monday urged U.S. officials and organizers to cancel a "Trump Free Speech Rally" and other similar events, saying they are inappropriate and could be dangerous after two men were stabbed to death on a train as they tried to help a pair of young women targeted by an anti-Muslim tirade.

    Coco Douglas, 8, leaves a handmade sign and rocks she painted at a memorial in Portland, Ore., on Saturday for two bystanders who were stabbed to death Friday while trying to stop a man who was yelling anti-Muslim slurs and acting aggressively toward two young women. From left are Coco's brother, Desmond Douglas; her father, Christopher Douglas; and her stepmother, Angel Sauls. [Associated Press]