Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

House allocation would provide $1.5 million for adult technical training program

Officials say adult technical education is critical to retrain the county’s workforce and reduce Hernando’s high unemployment.

SKIP O’ROURKE | Times (2005)

Officials say adult technical education is critical to retrain the county’s workforce and reduce Hernando’s high unemployment.

Hernando County's effort to launch an adult technical education program has been hobbled so far by a familiar foe:

A lack of money.

That problem could go away soon.

Tucked into the Florida House's proposed 2013-14 budget is $1.5 million dedicated to creating an adult technical training program in Hernando.

Local officials say the center is critical to the goal of retraining the county's workforce and reducing Hernando's high unemployment rate. For several years, Hernando has struggled with one of the highest unemployment rates in Florida — 9 percent in February.

The money was added to the House appropriations bill by Rep. Robert Schneck, R-Spring Hill, who said he feels it's important for the county.

"Obviously, it is something that has lacked for a while compared to surrounding counties — both in practice and dollar-wise," Schenck said.

He said the money, if ultimately approved, will help develop the local economy by properly training workers and luring more jobs to the county.

He said there's nothing special about the $1.5 million amount.

"I felt that would be more than enough to get a healthy program going in Hernando," he said. "Not only for a minimal program, but a strong program."

County officials are ecstatic about the prospect of the financial boost.

Hernando School Board chairman Matt Foreman said one of the biggest obstacles to getting the program off the ground has been funding.

"This gives us the bump that we needed in a big way," Foreman said. "It enables us to get out of the blocks strong."

Hernando County business development manager Michael McHugh agreed.

"This certainly could accelerate our opportunities very, very rapidly," he said. "It's an incredible gesture to our workforce effort and to our community."

McHugh, who has been a key player in the attempt to bring adult technical education to the county, said the money could be used for programs, equipment or research, which would provide the county with more information about what kinds of courses to offer.

"It is still an expensive proposition to set up educational programs," he said.

It's also a difficult one.

Hernando County tried offering three courses in February with little success.

Two of the three courses were closed after an insufficient number of students enrolled. The third course only taught Microsoft Word 2010 and was criticized for not meeting the stated goal of retraining the workforce.

Courses will again be offered in September, according to school district officials. The district is looking at courses in the culinary arts, production, cosmetology and home health.

There are still some hurdles before the $1.5 million is a done deal.

While the allocation is included in the House's proposed budget, it is not yet in the Senate version. It will need to survive negotiations between the House and Senate before going to Gov. Rick Scott, who has the power to veto it.

Schenck isn't worried.

"I am 100 percent confident it will be there at the end of the budget process," he said.

Whether or not the district gets the money from the state, it appears the program's financial position is improving.

McHugh says his office has raised $12,500 in private funds for the program. The school district is expected to match that.

Danny Valentine can be reached at dvalentine@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1432. On Twitter: @HernandoTimes.

House allocation would provide $1.5 million for adult technical training program 03/29/13 [Last modified: Friday, March 29, 2013 8:15pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.
  2. Told not to look, Donald Trump looks at the solar eclipse

    National

    Of course he looked.

    Monday's solar eclipse — life-giving, eye-threatening, ostensibly apolitical — summoned the nation's First Viewer to the Truman Balcony of the White House around 2:38 p.m. Eastern time.

    The executive metaphor came quickly.

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump view the solar eclipse from the Truman balcony of the White House, in Washington, Aug. 21, 2017. [Al Drago | New York Times]
  3. Secret Service says it will run out of money to protect Trump and his family Sept. 30

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday that it has enough money to cover the cost of protecting President Donald Trump and his family through the end of September, but after that the agency will hit a federally mandated cap on salaries and overtime unless Congress intervenes.

    Secret service agents walk with President Donald Trump after a ceremony to welcome the 2016 NCAA Football National Champions the Clemson Tigers on the South Lawn of the White House on June 12, 2017. [Olivier Douliery | Sipa USA via TNS]
  4. After fraught debate, Trump to disclose new Afghanistan plan

    War

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will unveil his updated Afghanistan policy Monday night in a rare, prime-time address to a nation that broadly shares his pessimism about American involvement in the 16-year conflict. Although he may send a few thousand more troops, there are no signs of a major shift in …

    U.S. soldiers patrol the perimeter of a weapons cache near the U.S. military base in Bagram, Afghanistan in 2003. Sixteen years of U.S. warfare in Afghanistan have left the insurgents as strong as ever and the nation's future precarious. Facing a quagmire, President Donald Trump on Monday will outline his strategy for a country that has historically snared great powers and defied easy solutions.  [Associated Press (2003)]
  5. Trial begins for man accused of threatening to kill Tampa federal judge

    Criminal

    TAMPA — Jason Jerome Springer was in jail awaiting trial on a firearms charge when he heard inmates talking about a case that had made the news.

    His attorney said Jason Jerome Springer, 39, just talked, and there was “no true threat.”