• March 15: End of third grading quarter.
• March 16: Teacher planning day. No school for students.
• March 17-25: Spring break.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7382.
• The center’s Learn it Live educational series presents, "The Let’s Go Science Show" at 10:30 a.m. and 12 noon Feb. 22. This fun-filled production teaches physics concepts through theatrically based experiments, demonstrations and lots of audience interaction. Grades K-5. $6.
• Mitchell High band concert, 7 p.m. Feb. 22.
• River Ridge High band camp concert, 5 p.m. Feb. 24.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. 813-794-8772.
• Arts Power presents, Harry the Dirty Dog, at 10:30 a.m. and 12 noon Feb. 21. Grades K-5. $5.
• Wesley Chapel High dance performance, 7 p.m. Feb. 22-23.
• Teen Book Club, 6 p.m. Feb. 19 at the Land O’Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O’Lakes. Book to be discussed is Looking for Alaska, by John Green. Ages 13-18. For information, call (813) 929-1214.
• Chess Club, 5 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 21 at the Hugh Embry Library, 14215 4th St., Dade City. Beginners to advanced players welcome. Chess sets provided. For ‘tweens, teens and adults.
• Kids Read Aloud Book Club, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Feb. 22 at the South Holiday Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Road, Holiday. Grades 3-5.
For information about Pasco County library offerings at all branches, check out the events calendar at www.pascolibraries.org. For information about events and programs at the New Port Richey Public Library, go to nprlibrary.org
• The Pasco County School Choice Open Enrollment application for the 2018-19 School Year is open through March 1 for students wanting to attend a school outside their designated school boundary area. For information and application, go to www.pasco.k12.fl.us/ed_choice/school_choice/registration
• The Rotary Club of Trinity is accepting applications for the organization’s 2018 "Al Arzu" Scholarship. Applicants must be a high school senior, reside in and attend school in Pasco County to be eligible to apply. Applications must be postmarked by March 31. For more information or to receive a copy of the scholarship application, contact Candace Glewen at [email protected]
• The Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education Science Fiction and Fantasy writing contest invites Tampa Bay-area high school students to submit original, unpublished short stories on the theme of Frankenstein’s Legacy. The contest marks the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, which explored the intersection of scientific creativity and its moral and ethical consequences. The Grand Prize winner will receive: $100 Grand Prize, Grand Prize plaque, a class trip to the Bay Area Renaissance Festival on School Day 2019, and an invitation to read the winning story as a presenting author at the 2018 Tampa Bay Times Festival of Reading. The winning story will be published on the Newspaper in Education and USF Humanities Institutes websites. The deadline to enter is April 3. For information, visit tampabay.com/nie/storycontest for more information and to enter.
• K-12 educators who use the Tampa Bay Times to enhance student learning and the learning environment are invited to enter the 2018 Newspaper in Education Teacher of the Year Contest. The winning educator will be honored at an award reception in May 2018 and will receive: $100 cash prize, a grand prize plaque, Tampa Bay Times prize pack and an invitation to present at the 2018 Florida Press Educational Services summer training conference with reimbursement for conference lodging and travel. Deadline to enter is April 3. For information, visit tampabay.com/nie.
Send your school news to Michele Miller at [email protected]