• March 15: End of third grading quarter.
• March 16: Teacher planning day. No school for students.
• March 17-25: Spring break.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7382.
• Trinity Oaks Elementary musical, 7 p.m. March 5.
• Odessa Elementary concert, 7 p.m. March 8.
• Tickets are on sale for the Erth’s Dinosaur Live, for performances at 10:30 a.m. and 12 noon April 4. Meet and interact with an eye-popping collection of life-like dinosaur puppets presented in an entertaining and educational live theatrical performance. Grades K-6. $6.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. (813) 794-8772.
• Wiregrass Ranch High presents, Seussical the Musical, at 3 and 7:30 p.m. March 3. $10.
• Spotlight on Talent Finals will be March 10. Shows will be at noon for young competitors, 7 p.m. for older competitors. The regional competition gives more than $4,000 in cash prizes and trophies to winners in several age categories and a $1,000 scholarship to a Pasco County resident graduating senior. Tickets for adults are $12 or both shows for $20. For students through high school, the fee is $6, both shows for $10 (under 5 is free).
• Jack Hartmann Concert, 10:30 a.m. and noon March 14. Hartmann will perform educational songs on reading, math, science and social skills, along with some of his classroom favorites. Grades Pre-K – 3. $5
• The Pasco County Schools’ Recycling Operations Department and Pasco County Recycling and Education have named 13 Art of Recycling contest winners.
Grace Carter, Sunlake High School, won first place overall with "In the Eyes of the Turtle;" Anna Scarfone, Ridgewood High School, won second place overall with "Bee Green, Bee Pollution Free." Holly Denette, Ridgewood High School, won third place overall with "Bleached Life."
The following Pasco Schools students won the special categories awards: Meagan Reiss, Sunlake High, Best Use of Materials for "Rainbow Fish;" Wesley Womack, Sunlake High, Best Use of Plastic for "Waves of Plastic;" Sarah Wasley, J.W. Mitchell High, Best Artist Expression for "Afghan Girl – Steve McCurry;" Alexys Armentrout, Wiregrass Ranch High, Best Use of Aluminum for "We Can Save Our Birds;" Brittany Stumpf, Gulf High, Best Environmental Concept for "Turtle Trouble;" Felicitee Bly, Wiregrass Ranch, Most Innovative for "Worlds;" Kiersten Houck, Genesis Prep, Covanta Award for "Recycling Is a Piece of Cake;" Faith Graves, Ridgewood High, AOR Award for "Light the Way;" and Hannah Farrell, J.W. Mitchell, People’s Choice Award for "Sisters in Solidarity."
Pasco County Schools and Pasco County Recycling and Education founded the Art of Recycling contest in 1996 to promote environmental awareness, recycling and an appreciation of the arts. Pasco County high school students submit their artwork, and it is judged during the first week of February. In addition to the categorical awards, community sponsors donate cash awards, which range from $100 to $500.
The 13 winning pieces will be displayed inside the lobbies of Buildings 3 and 4 at the Pasco County Schools District Office Complex, 7227 Land O’ Lakes Blvd. in Land O’ Lakes, throughout March.
• Pasco-Hernando State College will host a dual-enrollment information session for current and prospective dual-enrollment students and their parents at each of its five campuses. Dual-enrollment students are enrolled in high school and simultaneously enrolled in college or specific technical credit courses, taught by PHSC, which count toward high school graduation. Students enrolled in dual-enrollment courses at PHSC do not have to pay for tuition or books
Those who attend the information nights will learn about the dual-enrollment process and responsibilities of enrolled students. Academic advisors will be on hand to answer questions. These sessions are strongly recommended for any student and parent(s) who are interested in dual-enrollment at PHSC.
Dual-Enrollment Information Session Schedule:
• March 14, 5-7 p.m. at the Spring Hill Campus in Spring Hill, 450 Beverly Court, B105
• March 20, 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch, in Wesley Chapel, 2727 Mansfield Blvd., B303.
• March 20, 6-7:30 p.m at the North Campus in Brooksville, 11415 Ponce de Leon Blvd., B104/105
• March 21, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the East Campus in Dade City, 36727 Blanton Road, A240.
• March 22, 5-7 p.m. at the West Campus in New Port Richey, 10230 Ridge Road, M101. For more information about PHSC and its programs and services, call 1.855.NOW.PHSC, or visit www.phsc.edu.
Send your school news to Michele Miller at [email protected]