• May 17-20: High school graduations
• May 25: Last day of school for students
• Head Start/Early Head Start applications are available at the following elementary schools: Anclote, Centennial, Chasco, Rodney B. Cox, Fox Hollow, Dr. Mary Giella, Gulf Highlands, Gulf Trace, Hudson, Lacoochee, Mittye P. Locke, James M. Marlowe, Moon Lake, New River, Northwest, Pasco, Pine View, Quail Hollow, Richey, Chester W. Taylor, West Zephyrhills, Woodland. Expectant mothers, infants, toddlers and children through age 5 that meet income eligibility requirements may apply for Head Start or Early Head Start. Completing an application does not guarantee a child’s eligibility for services. Several documents are required. Visit the website at www.pascoschools.org/ECP, or call Alexis Russell (727) 774-2730, (813) 794-2730, (352) 524-2730.
• Together We Stand Pasco Youth and Community Summit: Everyone Matters: UNITY (Understanding Needs in Transforming Youth), will be held from 8:30 to 11:15 a.m. June 4 for secondary schools and 12:15 to 3 p.m. June 4 for elementary schools at the Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. The Together We Stand annual summit was created to bring school administrators and student leaders together to learn about building inclusive and safe schools. School teams work together to strengthen their collaborative culture through activities, events, student leadership work and community building.
• Pasco County Schools will host free STEMagination Camps for Pasco students in participating Title I middle schools who are entering grades 6 to 8 in the 2018-2019 school year. STEMagination is four half-days of camp in which students will learn GoPro technology, Sphero Robot programming and CrossBraining. By completing several design challenges, students earn "badges" and gain membership into Pasco Apprentices of S.H.I.E.L.D, a unique group of young people striving for excellence.
Camps will be held for students attending the following Title I schools:
Bayonet Point and Chasco Middle School students: 8 to 11:30 a.m. June 11-14 at Bayonet Point Middle, 1125 Little Road, New Port Richey.
Centennial Middle School students: 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. June 11-14 at 38505 Centennial Road, Dade City.
Pasco and R.B. Stewart Middle School students: 8 to 11:30 a.m. June 18-21 at Pasco Middle, 13925 14th St., Dade City.
Hudson and Crews Lake Middle students, 8 to 11:30 a.m. June 25-28 at Hudson Middle, 14540 Cobra Way, Hudson.
Enrollment is limited. For more information and to register, students and parents should contact the student’s school.
e_SBlt Land O’ Lakes High led Pasco County’s list of five high schools on the U.S. News & World Report list of 2018 Best High Schools, followed by J.W. Mitchell, Wiregrass Ranch, and Sunlake high schools, and Pasco e-School.
Less than 30 percent of high schools in the country qualify for the list of Best High Schools. Four of the schools earned Silver badges, an honor only 11 percent of U.S. high schools can claim. Land O’ Lakes was ranked 50th in Florida, based on its 87 percent graduation rate and 53.5 ranking for college readiness. J.W. Mitchell ranked 90th in Florida, with an 85 percent graduation rate and 44.5 college readiness ranking. Wiregrass Ranch came in at number 117 in Florida, with a 91 percent graduation rate and 37.4 college readiness ranking. Sunlake’s 86 percent graduation rate and 37.3 college readiness score ranked them 119th in Florida. Pasco eSchool earned a Bronze badge, with a 100 percent graduation rate, but had no college readiness ranking. Only 16 percent of U.S. schools fall into the Bronze badge category.
For information about Pasco’s schools on the 2018 Best High Schools report, go to www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/florida/districts/pasco-102917.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7382.
• Schrader Elementary talent show, 7 p.m. May 18.
• Ridgewood High band concert, 7 p.m. May 21.
• River Ridge Middle band concert, 7 p.. May 22.
• J.W. Mitchell High band concert, 7 p.m. May 23.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. (813) 794-8772
• John Long Middle choral concert, 7 p.m. May 18.
• Academy at the Farm concerts, 2 and 4 p.m. May 20.
• Wiregrass Elementary concert, 7 p.m. May 21.
• Wiregrass Ranch High orchestra concert, 7 p.m. May 22.
• Weightman Middle band concert, 7 p.m. May 23.
• District Art Specialists’ Exhibit closing reception, 6 p.m. May 26.
Send your school news to Michele Miller at [email protected]