Annual Parent Institute
Workshops will offer tips on helping kids
The ninth annual Parent Institute to promote parent and community involvement will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 21 at West Hernando Middle School, 14325 Ken Austin Parkway, Brooksville. Registration will be from 5:30 to 6 p.m.; exhibitors and a complimentary sandwich dinner will be from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.; Parent Institute workshop sessions will be 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Workshops may include reading, math, writing, brain training, How to Help Your Child With FCAT, discipline, art, music, learning styles, nutrition, drug and alcohol abuse, gifted sessions, disability awareness, identity theft and making a budget. To register, go to hernandoschools.org and click on "Parent Institute 2010" or call Janeen Defilippo at (352) 797-7022, ext. 407. Hernando County teachers will provide student workshops for ages 6 to 12. Scribbles Preschool will provide arts and crafts areas for ages 3 to 5.
Challenger K8: The Gifted Advisory Council meets at 6 p.m. today in the Media Center.
• The 2011-2012 Parent Lottery meetings are at 5 and 6 p.m. Nov. 10 in the cafeteria. One of these meetings is mandatory for parents applying for the 2011-2012 academic school year. Doors close at meeting times. Parents who have children attending Challenger K8, or who have attended a previous parent lottery meeting, do not need to attend. These parents should pick up applications and portfolio packets from the front office beginning Nov. 10. Sibling status will no longer be offered.
D.S. Parrott Middle School: The Veterans Day program and breakfast will be at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 12 at the school, sponsored by Parrott's Student Government. County veterans are invited to attend in recognition of their service. Parents and students are asked to invite a veteran to the event. Students who have invited a family member or other individual can escort their guest. RSVP by calling Mrs. Branhuber, SGA's teacher sponsor, at (352) 797-7075, ext. 245.
Pine Grove Elementary School: The Title I Family Center is open for parents from 9:15 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 12 to 7 p.m. Thursdays. Call Nancy Hurst at (352) 797-7090, ext. 255.
• The School Advisory Council meets at 4:15 p.m. Nov. 4 in Room 800. Parents and community members are invited. Call (352) 797-7090.
• Thanksgiving Family Day is during children's lunch times on Nov. 18. The school's community partners come to help feed children's families.
West Hernando Middle School: The Title I Annual Meeting and Back to School Night will be from 6 to 8:30 p.m. today. A brief Title I presentation is in children's first-period classroom; then parents can follow their child's schedule the rest of the evening.
• The School Advisory Council and Title I Committee meeting will be from 5 to 6 p.m. Oct. 25 in the media center.
• The All Pro Dad's breakfast will be held 8 to 8:45 a.m. Oct. 26 in the school cafeteria. Fathers and their children are invited for breakfast and a short program on fatherhood and family topics.
Send school news and class notes items to Paulette Lash Ritchie at firstname.lastname@example.org