Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Challenger K-8 could play host to group of middle-school students from China

BROOKSVILLE — It would be an unprecedented student exchange for Hernando County schools.

As early as this January, up to 60 Chinese middle school students from an elite boarding school in Beijing could be walking the halls of Challenger K-8 School of Science and Mathematics, soaking up American culture and sharing their own as part of a cultural exchange program.

"I'm honored and privileged that we would be selected … to house this program," said Challenger principal Michael Maine. "It's a really big thing for Hernando County."

While the district has participated in exchange programs in the past, this one is different for several reasons: the large number of students involved; the fact that it involves middle school rather than high school students; the length of the program; and the fact that the visitors would be coming from China.

"At the middle school level, it's never been done," Maine said.

The students all would come from the Beijing New Talent Academy, a K-12 boarding school that was founded in 1995 on the eastern outskirts of the city.

By all accounts, these kids are bright — and fluent in English.

Maine said the education system in China is more advanced and that the curriculum is "much more rigorous than ours in the United States."

That's especially true at New Talent Academy.

The students are predominantly the sons and daughters of doctors and lawyers, and tuition runs $30,000 a year, Maine said. The median average income in China is $9,000, he said.

Challenger was chosen because of its reputation as a high-performing school.

The proposal went before the Hernando County School Board last week, where it received a preliminary green light from board members. It will need to go before the board again for final approval.

If approved, the exchange would last nine weeks, from January until March.

While Challenger can accommodate up to 60 students, Maine said the more likely number would be between 35 and 40. All of the students would live with Challenger staffers, a decision that was made to eliminate security concerns and make the commute to school easier.

During their stay, the Chinese exchange students would follow the same routine as their American counterparts.

They would follow a middle school schedule, participate in classes, do assignments and take tests.

"They want to experience our curriculum," the principal said. "If they don't, then they're just sitting there."

The students would not receive any grades and would not get credit. Considered visitors, they also would not affect classroom enrollment numbers.

District curriculum supervisor Jeff Yungmann told board members on Tuesday that the program will not cost the Hernando school district anything.

"It's a win-win situation," he said.

Maine said most of Beijing New Talent Academy's high school students come to the United States to tour universities, trying to get a foot in the door. The younger students have been "crying out for more exposure" to America and its education system, he said.

"The middle schoolers have been asking for more opportunities to become enriched in the Western culture and have many questions," he said.

Maine said this would be a special opportunity.

Challenger, he said, would create opportunities throughout the day for the students to intermingle. There would be activities before and after school, and presentations would be infused throughout the curriculum.

Maine said he would like to see the program spread to all grade levels at the school.

Eventually, he hopes students from Hernando will get an opportunity to go to China.

"That is Phase 2," he said.

Contact Danny Valentine at dvalentine@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1432. On Twitter: @HernandoTimes.

Challenger K-8 could play host to group of middle-school students from China 09/20/13 [Last modified: Friday, September 20, 2013 4:17pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Lightning shifts search for defense to free agency

    Lightning Strikes

    CHICAGO — As much as he tried, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman left the weekend's draft without acquiring another top-four defenseman.

    Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman gestures as he speaks to the media about recent trades during a news conference before an NHL hockey game against the Carolina Hurricanes Wednesday, March 1, 2017, in Tampa, Fla. The Lightning, over the past few days, have traded goaltender Ben Bishop to the Los Angeles Kings, forward Brian Boyle to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and forward Valtteri Filppula to the Philadelphia Flyers. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara) TPA101
  2. Half of Florida lawmakers fail or nearly fail review of support for public records

    State Roundup

    WEST PALM BEACH — Half of Florida's legislators failed or nearly failed in a review of their support for public records and meetings given by Florida newspapers and an open-government group after this year's legislative sessions.

    State Senator Bill Galvano, R- Bradenton (left) and Florida House Speaker Richard Corcoran ranked on opposite sides of the spectrum in an analysis of support for open records. Galvano scored a B-minus and Corcoran scored a D-plus.
[Times file photo]
  3. Yale dean on leave over offensive Yelp reviews leaves post

    Bizarre News

    NEW HAVEN, Conn. — A Yale University dean who was placed on leave over offensive reviews she posted on Yelp has left her position at the Ivy League institution, school officials said Tuesday.

  4. Federal agencies demand records from SeaWorld theme park

    Tourism

    ORLANDO — Two federal agencies are reportedly demanding financial records from SeaWorld.

    Killer whales Ikaika and Corky participate in behaviors commonly done in the wild during SeaWorld's Killer Whale educational presentation in this photo from Jan. 9. SeaWorld has been subpoenaed by two federal agencies for comments that executives and the company made in August 2014 about the impact from the "Blackfish" documentary. 
[Nelvin C. Cepeda/San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS]