The kids are on winter break and so are we. Top of the Class publication will resume Jan. 5.
• Through Jan. 3: Winter break.
• Jan. 6: Teacher planning day, no school for students.
• Jan. 7: Students return.
• The Downtown New Port Richey Art Gallery will feature student artwork from the Genesis Preparatory Academy through Saturday at the gallery, 6231 Grand Blvd. (727) 848-6500 or nprgallery.com.
Hugh Embry, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City. (352) 567-3576
• Teen Gaming, 4 p.m. Thursday Grades 6-12.
• Family Movie Matinee & Popcorn, 2 p.m. Saturday. Kids 10 and under with parent or guardian.
Hudson Regional, 8012 Library Road, (727) 861-3040.
• Lego-mania, 2-3:15 p.m. Sat.
Land O'Lakes, 2818 Collier Parkway, (813) 929-1214.
Reading Buddies, beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday by appointment. Elementary-age readers can sign up for reading practice with a friendly volunteer. Bring a favorite book or choose one from the library. Sign up: (813) 929-1214.
• Beginner's Mandarin Chinese, 11 a.m. Saturday. Expand the intellect in a class taught by an experienced native Chinese volunteer teacher. Ages 10 and up.
• Chess Club, 2 p.m. Saturday. All ages and skill levels are welcome.
New Port Richey Public Library, 5939 Main St., New Port Richey. (727) 853-1279
• Read to Therapy Dogs, 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
• Game Days, noon Saturday.
New River, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills, (813) 788-6375.
• Homework Help, grades 1-5. Tue. through Fri., 3:30-5 p.m.
• Knitting Club, 6 p.m. Thursday. Grades 6 and above.
• Children's Popcorn and a Movie, 1:15 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
Regency Park, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey, (727) 861-3049.
• Reading to Your BBFFs, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Thursday. Readers of all levels can practice reading aloud to a therapy dog. Elementary age.
South Holiday, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, (727) 834-3312.
• Movie & Munchies, 2 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
• Dec. 27 is the registration deadline for the SAT to be administered Jan. 25. Late registration, with fees, is Jan. 10 (mail) and Jan. 14 (online/telephone). Go to sat.collegeboard.org.
• The Thursday Musicale, a women's choral group formed to promote music in Pasco and Hernando counties, offers scholarships to graduating high school seniors who plan to study music in college and make it a career. Deadline to apply is Jan. 17 with auditions on Jan. 28 at Trinity Presbyterian Church of Seven Springs, New Port Richey. Contact a high school career counselor and/or music director for applications.
• Nature Coast Festival Music Inc. will award scholarships of up to $1,000 each to two promising musicians. Applicants must be a high school senior in Citrus, Pasco or Hernando county who will be enrolling in a college-level music program. An audition CD and paper application must be submitted to the Scholarship Committee before Jan. 31. If awarded a scholarship, the winner must be available to perform a classical or sacred music selection for at least one Nature Coast Festival Music concert in the spring. The recipient must also provide his or her own accompanist or be available to rehearse with the Nature Coast Festival Music Inc., accompanist before concerts. For information or application, email [email protected] or call Jeanmarie Seabaugh, president of Nature Coast Festival Music Inc., at (352) 556-8549. Scholarship winners will notified the last week of February.
Send your school news to [email protected]