• Feb. 7: Progress reports.
• Feb. 17: Presidents Day, no school.
• Feb. 25-26: FCAT 2.0 writing.
• The Greater Pasco Youth Symphony is enrolling music students in grades 5-12 through Feb. 8. There are openings for students who play the violin, viola, cello, brass, woodwinds, percussion and other instruments. Auditions and rehearsals are from 2 to 4 p.m. each Saturday at St. Mark's Presbyterian Church, 7922 State Road 52, Port Richey. Call Emiko Wennerholt at (727) 858-8024 for additional information and to schedule an audition.
• Applications are being accepted for the 31st Heritage Arts Spotlight on Talent competition for youngsters up to age 18. The regional performing arts competition awards $3,000 in trophies, ribbons and cash prizes to winners in various age categories and a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating senior. Deadline to enter is Feb. 13. Auditions are March 1. Final show is March 29 at the Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel. Tickets for adults are $12, or both shows for $20. Student tickets (through high school) are $6, both shows for $10 (under 5 is free). For application and information go to heritagearts.org. Community sponsors are needed. Call (352) 567-1720.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7381:
• Gulf Middle band concert, 7 p.m. Monday.
• River Ridge Middle Talent Showcase, 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• The U.S. Stones tribute show, 7 p.m. Friday. $10.
• Student Tours presents, Mainstreet Kids Club, 10:30 a.m. and noon Feb. 11. Grades 1-5.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road. (813) 794-8772 or (727) 774-8772
• Mr. Wiregrass Ranch High Competition, 5-10 p.m. Friday.
Centennial Park, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday, (727) 834-3204.
• Lego Club, 4-5 p.m. Wednesday. Elementary ages.
• PAWS for Friendship, 4-4:30 p.m. Thursday. Read aloud to a furry friend. Elementary ages.
• Valentine craft, 2-3 p.m. Saturday. Grades 4-7.
Hudson Regional, 8012 Library Road, (727) 861-3040.
• Teen Advisory Board, 6 p.m. Tuesday. Grades 6-12.
• Yoga for Kids, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Wednesday. Bring a mat or towel. Ages 12 and under.
• Act Up Drama Club, Children, 2-3:15 p.m. Saturday. Grades 3 and up.
Hugh Embry, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City. (352) 567-3576
• Teen Travel — Scandinavia, 4-5:30 p.m. Thursday. Grades 6-12.
• Kids Fun Factory, 2-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
Land O'Lakes, 2818 Collier Parkway, (813) 929-1214.
• Teen Anime Club, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday.
• Reading Buddies, 10 a.m.-noon Saturday. Children of all ages are welcome to come share a story with a teen or adult volunteer. Please call to reserve a reading buddy.
• Teen Game Night and Yu-Gi-Oh Mini Tournament, 6 p.m. Friday.
• Tween Gaming, 2-4 p.m. Saturday. Ages 8-12.
• Japanese class, 3-5 p.m. Saturday. Teens.
New River, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills, (813) 788-6375.
• Teen Advisory Board, 6 p.m. Thursday.
• Anime Club, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday.
• Children's Craft Corner, 2-3 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
Regency Park, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey, (727) 861-3049.
• Teen Advisory Board, 4-5:45 p.m. Wednesday.
• Read to your BFF, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Thursday. Grades K-5
South Holiday, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, (727) 834-3312.
• Lego Maniacs, 4:30-6 p.m. Tuesday. Grades K-5.
• Teen Advisory Board and Game Night, 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday. Grades 6-12.
• The Pasco County School Board will host informational community meetings concerning Common Core standards from 6-8 p.m. at the following dates and schools:
West Pasco: Feb. 11 at Hudson High; Feb. 13 at River Ridge High; Feb. 27 at Ridgewood High.
Central Pasco: Thursday at Land O'Lakes High, Feb. 25 at Sunlake High.
East Pasco: Tuesday at Wesley Chapel High; Feb. 20 at Zephyrhills High; March 4 at Wiregrass Ranch High.
• Saint Leo University invites middle and high school students to attend a Math Circle from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday at TECHO Hall in the School of Business building, 33701 State Road 52, St. Leo. Students will participate in fun, hands-on activities to help excite them about mathematics. For information, contact Monika Kiss at [email protected] or call (352) 588-8836.
• Bishop Larkin Catholic School is hosting "Sneak Peek: Come Experience our Middle Years IB Programme," 6:30-8 p.m. Feb. 11 in the school media center, 8408 Monarch Drive, Port Richey. The event is open to all potential middle school families and current BLCS 5th grade families. RSVP by Friday at (727) 862-6981 or email [email protected]
• The Pasco County Regional Science and Engineering Fair begins at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at River Ridge Middle High, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. Students from throughout the district will display their projects for judging. Awards ceremony will be from 3 to 4 p.m.
• The Culinary Arts Program at Fivay High School is hosting an awareness and fundraising dinner, Fly Away with Fivay, to support students with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The dinner will be held at 5 p.m. Feb. 22 in the atrium at Fivay High. Cost is $25 per person with net funds raised supporting the school's Autism Spectrum Disorder Program. Businesses and individuals are invited to sponsor tables (serving eight) for $200. Because of limited seating, guests must RSVP at Fivay.Rsvpify.com. Payment can be made in checks payable to Fivay High School and delivered to chef Stefanie Adams during the school day or mailed to: Fivay High School, 12115 Chicago Ave., Hudson, FL 34669.
• School Choice Open Enrollment Applications for the 2014-2015 school year will be accepted through March 1. The District School Board of Pasco County's School Choice Open Enrollment initiative provides an opportunity for a Pasco County student to attend a public school outside the student's assigned boundary area, as well as public schools in neighboring counties, as long as the requested school is not critically overcrowded. Applications must be received electronically. For information and guidelines, go to www.pasco.k12.fl.us/ed_choice/school_choice/registration.
• Friday is the deadline to register for the SAT to be administered on March. 8. Late registration deadline (with fees) is Feb. 24. For information, go to collegeboard.org.
Students of the month
• Bayonet Point Middle: Skylar Driscoll, Brian Centeno, Sydney Driscoll, Dominic Shamblin, Aalyssa Hicks, Robert Townsend, Rina Mogianesi, Christian Starlin, Tina Morrison, Genevieve Hall, Brandon Cook, Alexandra Prusinski, Devin Dean, Yasmin Robles, Donte Wood, Kristen Fagan, Shawn Molnar, Arryonna Massenberg, Anthony Albright, Keishley Gonzalez and Dale Dupree.
• Seven Springs Elementary: Diogo Aparicio, Aleah Cortright, Madison Dobson, Anna Giurgius, Emily Hernandez, Claudia Kuzniczci, Hannah Langi, Sarina Mathew, Carson May, Cameran Popovics, Link Potts, Jacob Van Schenck, Ethan Whitehead and Destanye Zittle
Send your school news to [email protected]