• April 18: No school.
• April 21-30: End of course exams.
• April 22-25: FCAT 2.0 reading, math and science.
• April 30: Progress reports.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7381:
• River Ridge High Talent Showcase, 7 p.m. Tuesday. $5.
• Jack Hartmann in concert with The Hop 2 it Band, 7 p.m. Thursday. Tickets are $7 for kids; $10 for adults.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road. (813) 794-8772
• Connerton Elementary spring concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Preregistration for kindergarten and Head Start/Early Head Start programs will be May 5.
Children who turn 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2014, are eligible to enter kindergarten. Parents/guardians should bring the following documents to any Pasco County elementary school: child's birth certificate or other proof of birth date, health examination HRS form 3040, HRS certificate of immunization, proof of Florida residence (current utility bill, driver's license, etc.) For information, call the appropriate school or Courtney Lough at (727) 774-2780, (813) 794-2780 or (352) 524-2780.
Expectant mothers, parents and guardians may submit applications for infants, toddlers and children through age 5 for Head Start/Early Head Start at select schools. Required documents: certified birth certificate or other state approved document, child's Social Security card (if available), child's health care card (Medicaid, Kid Care or private insurance), documentation of four to six weeks of most current income or 2013 W-2 or 1040 tax form, proof of Florida residency within the last three months (driver's licence, utility bill, etc.). If applicable: proof of child support, Protective Services and or foster care verification; documentation of parents or guardian attending school; documentation of disability for child, parent or guardian. For information, call Alexis Russell at (727) 774-2236; (813) 794-2236, (352) 524-2236.
• U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis hosts the 5th annual College & Career Readiness Fair from 10 a.m. to noon April 26 at J.W. Mitchell High School, 2323 Little Road, Trinity. There will be workshop sessions on admissions and financial aid, military service academies, resume writing and interviewing skills. There will be representatives from colleges, universities and technical schools throughout the state, as well as leading employers from around Tampa Bay. For information or to RSVP, contact Bilirakis' office: (727) 232-2921, (813) 501-4942 or go to www.bilirakis.house.gov.
• The African American Club of Pasco (AAC) is pleased to announce that as a result of its successful Scholarship Dinner Dance on Feb. 22, the AAC will offer four scholarships to Pasco County graduating students:
The AAC Scholarship Honoring Captain "Bo" Harrison, Pasco County Sheriff's Office: To an African-American, American Indian or Hispanic/Latino student in need seeking to become a law enforcement officer in Pasco County. Harrison was killed in the line of duty shortly before he expected to retire in 2003. $800.
The AAC Scholarship Honoring Maxine Walker Giddings, AAC member and civil rights pioneer: To a student in need who espouses the ideals of Giddings, a participant in the earliest counter sit-ins, along with U.S. Rep. John Lewis, and civil rights icon Dr. Bernard Lafayette. She met Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. numerous times, and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall was a guest in her parents' home. $845
The AAC Scholarship for the Arts: To a student in need seeking higher education in the arts. $800.
• The Brian Sean Callaghan Memorial Scholarship, honoring the son of Daniel and Anni Callaghan, killed on duty as a Yavapai County, Ariz., detention officer, along with two of his fellow officers and closest friends in 2010. To an African-American, American Indian or Hispanic/Latino student in need seeking a career in Pasco County as a law enforcement or detention officer. $1,100. Deadline to apply is April 30. Applications are available in high school guidance offices and should be mailed to the AAC Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 45, Port Richey, FL 34673. For information, call Trish Stevenson at (727) 495-3207 or Dan Callaghan at (727) 372-1742.
• Jewish students who live in west Pasco and are graduating from high school are encouraged to apply for the Lillian and Joseph Katz and Mark Osipoff scholarships. Candidates must fill out an application and submit it with a letter that details their personal and scholastic backgrounds and educational plans. Applications are available in the office at the Jewish Community Center, 9841 Scenic Drive, Port Richey. The deadline is May 1. For information, call (727) 847-381.
Send your school news to email@example.com.