Tuesday and Wednesday: FCAT 2.0 writing.
• The Downtown New Port Richey Art Gallery "Hand 'n Hand" student exhibit is on display through February at the gallery, 6231 Grand Blvd. This exhibit features artwork of students from Connerton Elementary, J.W. Mitchell High and the Wiregrass High Gallery. For information, call (727) 848-6500 or email [email protected]
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7381:
• River Ridge High drama presents, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at 2 p.m. today $7.
• J.W. Mitchell High band prefestival concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road. (813) 794-8772 or (727) 774-8772
• Sunlake High drama presents Trial and Error, 4 p.m. today. $10.
• Connerton Elementary concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
• Spotlight on Talent Auditions, Saturday.
• The Pasco County School Board will host informational community meetings concerning Common Core Standards from 6 to 8 p.m. at the following dates and schools. West Pasco: Thursday at Ridgewood High; Central Pasco: Tuesday at Sunlake High; East Pasco: March 4 at Wiregrass Ranch High.
• Hudson Elementary School is offering a series of free active parenting classes Thursday, March 6 and March 13 at the school, 7229 Hudson Ave., Hudson. The workshop will show effective ways to use nonviolent discipline techniques, improve communication, teach responsibility and other important values. Parents, grandparents, childcare providers and teachers are welcome. To make your reservations, call Shannon Hill at (727) 774-2630, (813) 794-2630 or (352) 524-2630.
• Land O'Lakes High is accepting applications for the new Academy of Agritechnology offering students an opportunity to pursue a rigorous program with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge. Students will develop skills to prepare for further education and careers in agriculture and food and natural resources management. The content during the four years includes instruction in animal and plant production and processing; agriculture marketing; agricultural mechanics; employability skills; core subject content; communications; and human relations skills. Students will have an opportunity to earn industry certification while earning their Florida high school diploma. For an application visit the Land O'Lakes High School website at: lolhs.pasco.k12.fl.us; search "agritechnology." Applications are due by Friday. For information, call (813) 794-9400.
• School Choice Open Enrollment Applications for the 2014-2015 school year will be accepted through Saturday. The school district's School Choice Open Enrollment initiative provides an opportunity for a Pasco student to attend a public school outside the student's assigned boundary area, as well as public schools in neighboring counties, as long as the requested school is not critically overcrowded. Applications must be received electronically. For information and guidelines, visit pasco.k12.fl.us/ed_choice.
• River Ridge High School Royal Sound Band Boosters Car and Bike Show Fundraiser is 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. There will be trophies and giveaways, entertainment, food, drink and vendors. Cost is $15 preregistration; $20 day of show. To register, email [email protected] or call (727) 267-9150.
• James M. Marlowe Elementary School's food drive — Feed a Child's Belly with Peanut Butter and Jelly! — is under way. Donations of jars of peanut butter and jelly along with other nonperishable food items are welcome through March 12 and will be donated to a local food bank in time for spring break.
Centennial Park, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday, (727) 834-3204.
• Teen Coffeehouse, 4 p.m. Tuesday. Grades 6-12.
• Lego Club, 4 p.m. Wednesday. Kids of all ages and their families.
• PAWS for Friendship, 4 p.m. Thursday. Reluctant readers (and readers of all skill levels) can practice reading aloud to a friendly therapy dog. Elementary grades.
Dr. Seuss crafts, 2 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
Hudson Regional, 8012 Library Road, (727) 861-3040.
• Teen Book Club discussion featuring the book Insurgent by Veronica Roth, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday. Grades 6-12.
• Teen Game Night. 6-9 p.m. Friday. Permissions slips must be handed in prior to the event. Call (727) 861-3040. Grades 6-12.
Hugh Embry Club, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City, (352) 567-3576.
• Tween Yu-Gi-Oh! Tournament, 4 p.m. Wednesday. Grades 4-7.
• Teen Gaming — Video & Board Games., 4 p.m. Thursday. Grades 8-12.
Land O'Lakes, 2818 Collier Parkway, (813) 929-1214.
• Teen Advisory Board, 6 p.m. Tuesday. Grades 6-12.
• Young Adult Game Night, 6 p.m. Friday. Ages 16 and older.
• Beginning Mandarin Chinese, 10 a.m. Saturday. Ages 10 and up.
• Reading Buddies, 10 a.m. Saturday by appointment. Elementary school readers can sign up for reading practice with a friendly volunteer. Bring a favorite book or choose one from the library. To register, call (813) 929-1214.
• Popcorn and a Movie, 2 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
New River, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills, (813) 788-6375.
• Homework Help for Grades 1-5, 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays.
• Gaming Club, 1 p.m. Saturday. Grades 4 and above.
Regency Park, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey, (727) 861-3049.
• Anime Club, 4 p.m. Wednesday. Grades 6-12.
• Reading to your BFFs, 4:30 p.m. Thursday. Reluctant readers (and readers of all skill levels) can practice reading to a friendly therapy dog. Elementary grades.
• Game Zone After Dark, 6 p.m. Friday. Permission slips are required. Grades 6-12.
• Lego Mania 2 p.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
South Holiday, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, (727) 834-3312.
• Lego Maniacs, 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Grades K-5.
• Dr. Seuss Birthday Celebration, 11 a.m. Saturday. Grades K-5.
• Anime Club, 2 p.m. Saturday. Grades 6-12.
• Basic Japanese 1 will be held at noon on the following Saturdays: April 12; April 26, May 3, May 10 and May 17. Learn Japanese greetings, vocabulary, basic grammar and more. Class space is limited. Register now at the library or by calling (727) 834-3331. Grades 6-12.
Send your school news to [email protected]