Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Former Hillsborough administrator Mike Grego applies to lead Pinellas schools

Mike Grego, the man who successfully steered Florida's request for a waiver from No Child Left Behind requirements, threw his name into the ring this week to become Pinellas County's next school superintendent.

Grego, a former Hillsborough County assistant superintendent and Osceola County superintendent, served for five months as Florida's interim chancellor for K-12 education. He was also charged with handling the waiver request, which was granted by President Obama earlier this year.

In his application, Grego describes the Tampa Bay area as "my longtime home and will always be home to me, my wife and my children."

Grego applied for the Pinellas superintendent spot once before in 2008, but instead took the job with Osceola schools. In an interview Thursday, he said that decision was largely based on timing, as there were multiple superintendent positions open at the same time.

"It was a tough choice," Grego said, "but it was the right decision to make."

Grego left his post leading Osceola Schools last year following what the Orlando Sentinel reported was a conflict with the School Board chairperson. He was also a finalist for Hillsborough's top job in 2005, when MaryEllen Elia was selected.

Grego, who currently lives in St. Cloud and is an associate professor at the University of Central Florida, joins 32 other applicants seeking to replace John Stewart who leaves in December. The job pays $225,000-$275,000.

The deadline to apply is July 2.

Rebecca Catalanello can be reached at (727) 893-8707 or rcatalanello@tampabay.com.

>> Fast facts

Who's applied

To see a list of other qualified applicants for Pinellas County school superintendent, go to http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/category/gradebook-tags/pinellas-county-superintendent

Former Hillsborough administrator Mike Grego applies to lead Pinellas schools 06/21/12 [Last modified: Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:50pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.