With the start of the new school year comes the return of "Top of the Class," the Pasco Times education page that runs Wednesdays and features the good things going on in local public and private schools.
As always, we're counting on some help to spread good news. It can be as simple as sending your school's monthly newsletter, faxing or e-mailing a weekly update, or just picking up the phone. Below is a primer on the kind of information we are looking for, as well as deadlines and ways you can get your news to us. We look forward to hearing from you.
• Classnotes: This includes timely information on events such as open houses, PTA meetings, book fairs, picture day, parent workshops and other school happenings that you want parents and students to know about. Written submissions only, with day and time of event included. Submit at least one week before the intended publication date.
• Briefs: Events that you want the community to know about. This might include a flea market/yard sale, fundraising golf event, workshop, school festival or school play that is open to the public. Submit at least one week before the intended publication.
• Wish List: For any kind of items the school needs, such as arts and crafts supplies, computers, donations for the school clothes closet or food drive, etc. Submit any time. Include a contact name (first and last) and contact telephone number and/or e-mail address.
• Newsmakers: Accolades given to students, teachers, volunteers. Only written submissions will be accepted. Submit any time. Be sure that all names are spelled correctly.
• Feature stories: These stories might include a profile about a special student, teacher or volunteer; an unusual classroom activity or lesson; or a school event. Profiles can come any time, but if it's a school event, give two weeks lead time. If it's really cool, and you forgot to let us know, go ahead and give us a last-minute call. You never know.
• Student/teacher contests or scholarship opportunities: Include submission guidelines, deadlines and contact information.
Send your school news to Michele Miller at email@example.com, by fax at (727) 869-6233, by phone at (727) 869-6251 or by regular mail to Top of the Class at 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668.