Brooksville Elementary: The PTA meeting and elections will be at 4:15 p.m. today in the Family Center.
Central High: Open house for parents to follow their children's schedules and meet with faculty and staff, 6-8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Contact Kim Brownell at (352) 797-7020 or brownell email@example.com.
Eastside Elementary: The Title 1 Annual Back-To-School Night will be held from 5-6 p.m. today in the cafeteria.
Essay contest: Sons of Italy Nature Coast Lodge No. 2502 is sponsoring an essay contest for high school and middle school students. The theme is "How the Italian Culture Has Influenced and Enriched World Civilization." Essays should be 400 words. The deadline is Oct. 31. Cash prizes will be awarded. Send essays to: Nina Maurer, 7300 Clearmeadow Drive, Spring Hill, FL 34606. Call Nina at (352) 683-7713.
Hernando High: Parent Institute, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 20.
Moton Elementary: The second grade will perform SQUIRM! A Wiggly, Giggly, Squiggly Musical at 6 p.m. Oct. 13 in the cafeteria.
• The Title 1 committee and conference night will be 4:30-8 tonight. Parents should report to their children's classrooms. Spaghetti dinner will be served 5-7 p.m. for $1 a plate in the cafeteria.
Pine Grove Elementary: A Girl Scout rally will be 6:30-7:30 tonight in the cafeteria.
• The PTO will meet at 4:40 p.m. Oct. 6 in Room 800. To join PTO, call MaryBeth Longcoy at (352) 797-7090.
• The PTO Fall Festival will be 5:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 27 in the cafeteria and courtyard.
Springstead High: Help the band win $10,000 from Pepsi Refresh. If it is ranked in the top 10 by the end of Friday, it could win that amount to help finance the band program. Cast two votes each day by texting 108416 to 73774 or creating an account at refresh everything.com/spring stead-eagle-brigade and then signing in to vote. Also look for specially marked Pepsi boxes or caps for codes that allow up to 100 extra "power" votes.
• Springstead will host its first Parent Workshop 6:30-7:30 tonight in the media center for parents of ninth-graders. Get free books and additional resources that can be used by children. Workshop topics include GPA, the afterschool program, FCAT Explorer, IB/AP/honors classes, clubs and dress code. The F.W. Springstead's Leadership Team sponsors the Parent Workshop.
• The band is collecting computer equipment, monitors or televisions (not old-style CRTs), cell or corded phones, game or music players, calculators, beepers and electronic medical equipment to recycle as a fundraiser. Collections will be at football games this week and on Oct. 7 at the band concession stand or at practices, which are 5:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Stop by or call Richard Dasher, band instructor, at (352) 797-7010. The theme is "Red, White & Blue Goes Green."
Weeki Wachee High: The School Advisory Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday in the media center. Call (352) 797-7029.
Westside Elementary: Title 1 meeting and parents' night at 6 tonight in the cafeteria. Call (352) 797-7080, ext. 255.
Winding Waters K8: Read for the Record Pajama Party and Parent Night will be 6-8 p.m. Oct. 6 in the cafeteria.
• The School Advisory Council will meet 6-7 p.m. Oct. 18 in the in the media center.