Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Hernando families told they can quit racial busing

BROOKSVILLE — African-American families in South Brooksville will soon get the official word: Their children are just as entitled to school choice as are students from any other part of Hernando County.

In letters being sent out Monday, families will be told they have the right to "opt out" of a racial busing plan that, since the 1960s, has sent black children to schools many miles from their home. They'll also learn they have the right to apply to another school besides their neighborhood school under the district's controlled choice plan, just like other families.

Those rights aren't new. But they haven't been emphasized in recent years, as the district waits for a federal decision on whether it can formally end a desegregation plan designed for the grandparents of today's schoolchildren.

And that's a pity, said Superintendent Wayne Alexander.

"I'm saddened by the fact that we haven't always informed people, but that's the past," he added Thursday.

Back in 1965, there was no such thing as school choice for African-American families. Under a Jim Crow-era housing code, they could only live on the south side of town, and their children could only attend the all-black Moton School.

Compared to that, it felt like progress to many black families when the federal government forced the county in 1965 to adopt a so-called voluntary busing program, or face a court order to do so.

The numbers of students being bused to other schools has waned since the 1970s, when around 650 students were bused to Spring Hill schools. Last spring just 75 students were bused, with that number rising to 93 students last fall, said student services director James Knight.

Some families took advantage of a district offer to opt out of the busing program beginning in the 1990s.

Others value the option or have grown attached to schools like Westside Elementary, despite their distance, said officials from the local chapter of the NAACP last year.

But at a recent town meeting in South Brooksville, several residents told Alexander they weren't aware they could "opt out" of the plan and attend neighborhood schools, or apply to another school under the choice plan.

"That's something all parents have the right to take advantage of," school social worker Cynthia Jackson told the crowd.

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that schools cannot assign students to schools in a "non-individualized, mechanical way" on the basis of race. But it left open the possibility that districts could take steps to prevent the isolation of minority students in just a few schools.

Those rulings shed little clarity on Hernando's situation. While around 7 percent of Hernando children are African-American, that percentage varies from as much as 16 percent in some schools to less than 2 percent in others.

The federal Department of Education has yet to rule on the county's 2006 request to end its busing program, Alexander said.

But in the meantime, he said, the district feels it is within its legal rights to remind families of their rights under the school choice plan — even if that means most or all black families decide to abandon busing.

"It feels safe to give families a choice," Alexander said. "It feels like what's best for kids."

Tom Marshall can be reached at tmarshall@sptimes.com or (352) 848-1431.

>>Fast facts

Busing fades away

Number of African-American students bused in the past five years under Hernando County's 43-year-old racial busing program:

Year Riders

2004 194

2005 226

2006 89

2007 75

2008 93

Hernando families told they can quit racial busing 03/27/08 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:22am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Entrance lanes close on eastbound I-4 in Plant City following semi crash

    Accidents

    An eastbound entrance lane to Interstate 4 is blocked Tuesday morning following a semi crash, according to broadcast reports.

  2. Gov. Rick Scott could soon be the all-time king of line-item veto

    Blogs

    2016: $256,144,027

    2015: $461,387,164

    2014: $68,850,121

    2013: $367,950,394

    2012: $142,752,177

    2011: $615,347,550

    Only once has Scott used the line-item veto sparingly. That was in 2014, the year he ran for re-election, when he removed a paltry $69 million from the budget.

    Gov. Rick Scott waves a veto pen at The Villages in 2011.
  3. Rays morning after: An up-and down day for Jose De Leon

    Blogs

    Rays RHP Jose De Leon had a busy Monday - getting called up to join the Rays for the first time and making his way from Pawtucket, R.I., to Boston and the flying to Texas, working 2 2/3 eventful innings to get the W in the 10-8 victory over the Rangers, and then getting optioned back to Triple-A.

    Jose De Leon follows through in the sixth inning against the Texas Rangers at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas, on May 29, 2017.
  4. Resignation of communications director Dubke could signal more changes within White House staff

    National

    WASHINGTON — Mike Dubke has resigned as White House communications director, a senior administration official confirmed Tuesday, in the first of what could be a series of changes to President Trump's senior staff amid the growing Russia scandal.

    President Donald Trump speaks at the Memorial Amphitheater in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., Monday, May 29, 2017, during a Memorial Day ceremony. [Associated Press]
  5. Trump pays somber tribute to fallen troops on Memorial Day

    National

    ARLINGTON, Va. — President Donald Trump expressed the nation's "boundless" gratitude for the ultimate sacrifice paid by Americans defending the United States, dedicating his first Memorial Day address as commander in chief to a top Cabinet secretary and two other families who lost loved ones.

    Brittany Jacobs, left, watches as her 6-year-old son Christian Jacobs meets President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery, Monday, May 29, 2017, in Arlington, Va. Jacobs father, Marine Sgt. Christopher Jacobs, was killed in 2011. [Associated Press]