Hernando County Education Foundation: A community shred by "Shred-It" will be from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sept. 24, 2011, at Weeki Wachee State Park. People can have documents, such as tax paper work, payroll information, financial or banking statements, confidential customer/client files or real estate documents, shredded for only $10 per 12-inch wide by 24-inch long by 12-inch high box (regular-sized storage box). All proceeds will support education in Hernando County. Sponsorships are available. Contact Tracy Echols at HCEF25@gmail.com or 352-277-3322 www.HernandoEducationFoundation.org.
Hernando High: An open house will begin at 6 p.m. Sept. 12 in the auditorium. The program will begin with an overview and continue with parents/guardians following their children's school day in abbreviated form. The computer lab will be available for completion of the on-line free and reduced lunch application. For information, call Mary Krabel at (352) 797-7015, ext. 407.
Pasco-Hernando Community College: The law enforcement and corrections academy program is offering a corrections academy at East Campus in Dade City, 36727 Blanton Road. The program is from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays Oct. 3 to Feb. 2 with an occasional evening class session. The corrections academy is a 552-hour basic recruit training course required by Florida to become a certified corrections officer for a county jail or the state prison system.
Requirements include PHCC admittance, the completion of an academy application and meeting additional requirements to qualify. Application deadline to the director of law enforcement and corrections programs is Sept. 9. Additional requirements are outlined in the monthly orientation and information session at 2 p.m. the third Thursday of each month in the Public Service Technology Center on the East Campus in Dade City.
For information or to get an application, contact Valerie Wise, senior office assistant, law enforcement programs, at (352) 518-1364.
• The college is offering an Operation of an Early Childhood Center course, for the fall term. The class will meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, Sept. 17-Nov. 12 at the West Campus in New Port Richey, 10230 Ridge Road. The fee is $325.
This course meets the credential requirements for directors and administrators of childcare centers and has been approved for both the foundation and advanced level credentials by the Florida Children's Forum. For information, call (877) 879-7422 or visit phcc.edu.
Pine Grove Elementary School: The PTO will meet 4:30-5:30 p.m. today in Room 800.
• The Title I annual meeting will be 6-8 p.m. today on a rotation schedule in the classrooms and cafeteria. The Title I plan for the year will be presented.
• The Supplemental Educational Services Provider Fair and Pizza Night will be 4-7 p.m. Wednesday at West Hernando Middle School for all Title I families.
• The Boy Scouts will meet 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sept. 13 in the cafeteria.
• The school is seeking volunteers for its Media Center and any amount of time is welcome. Duties may include shelving books, checking books in and out, reading to younger students, listening to students reading, assisting students with research, grant writing or anything else that is needed. Please contact Bob Pellito at (352) 797-7090, ext.7090 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Springstead High School: The open house will be at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday beginning in the gym with an opening session followed by a mini-school day. During each 15-minute class period, teachers will present course overviews, grade requirements, class activities, and other information.
Suncoast Elementary School: The School Advisory Council will meet at 3 p.m. Tuesday in the media center.
•?The PTA general meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 8 in the cafeteria.
Send Class notes items to firstname.lastname@example.org.