SAVE THESE DATES
Monday: Information Fair highlighting all special programs, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Dunedin Highland Middle School, 70 Patricia Ave., Dunedin. (Good overall view of what's available.)
Feb. 10: Pinellas School Board approves 2009-10 zone boundaries for regular elementary schools. (Many families will use this information to seek a special program as an alternative.)
Now-Feb. 12: Discovery nights for magnet and fundamental programs, career academies and centers of excellence. (A must for seeing a school up close.)
Feb. 16: Application period ends for magnet and fundamental programs, career academies and centers of excellence. It began Jan. 26. (Everyone applies by phone.)
March 2-13: Acceptance period for magnet and fundamental programs, career academies and centers of excellence. (Failure to accept an invitation to a program will nullify your application.)
HELP ON THE WEB
This is your stop for several key pieces of information:
• If you're applying for a program and are new to the school system, you'll need to click on the green "Student Reservation System" button on the right to get a student ID number.
• Click on the "pcsNews" box for a district program guide or an application worksheet.
• Click on the "Schools" button at the top of the page for links to school Web sites and brochures.
This is your doorway to key school data, including:
• Annual No Child Left Behind accountability reports.
• School grades.
• "School Indicators" reports with information on teacher qualifications, student performance, suspensions and other topics.
• National education statistics from the U.S. Department of Education.