EXPLORE 'DISCOVERY NIGHTS'
Eleven schools will hold "discovery nights" this week to help families decide which special programs to consider for the 2013-14 school year. The application period for magnet, fundamental and career academy programs is Jan. 9 to 23.
Thousands of students are expected to apply for a limited number of seats. Many programs are open to students countywide; others are limited to students in certain areas. Some programs have entrance criteria. For more details, consult the school district's website at pcsb.org.
During discovery nights, families can tour schools and get more information on programs and requirements. Here is a list of this week's discovery nights:
• Madeira Beach Fundamental, elementary and middle school, 5:30 to 7 p.m., 591 Tom Stuart Causeway, Madeira Beach
• East Lake High Academy of Engineering, 6:30 to 8 p.m., 1300 Silver Eagle Drive, Tarpon Springs
• Ridgecrest Elementary Center for Gifted Studies, 6 to 7 p.m., 1901 119th St. N, Largo
• Clearwater Fundamental Middle School, 6:30 to 8 p.m., 1660 Palmetto St.
• Boca Ciega High, fundamental school within a school (grades 9 to 11 only in 2013-14), 6 to 8 p.m., 924 58th St. S, Gulfport
• Bay Vista Fundamental Elementary, 6:30 to 8 p.m., 5900 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. S, St. Petersburg
• James Sanderlin PK-8, IB Middle Years Programme, 6 to 8 p.m., 2350 22nd Ave. S, St. Petersburg
• Boca Ciega High, Center for Wellness and Medical Professions, 6 to 8 p.m., 924 58th St. S, Gulfport
• Bay Point Elementary Center for Advancement of the Sciences and Technology, 6 to 7 p.m., 5800 22nd St. S, St. Petersburg
• Thurgood Marshall Fundamental Middle and its Center for Gifted Studies, 6 to 7 p.m., 3901 22nd Ave. S, St. Petersburg
• Pinellas Park High, Criminal Justice Academy, 6 to 8 p.m., 6305 118th Ave. N
Elementary lunch menus
Monday: breakfast for lunch, veggie lasagna with garlic bread stick, chef salad, deli roasted potatoes, romaine or tossed salad
Tuesday: grilled cheese, BBQ pork sandwich, chicken Caesar salad, tomato soup, veggie dippers
Wednesday: fish tacos, chicken nuggets, fruit and yogurt plate, corn, romaine salad
Thursday: corn dog, spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread stick, farmer's salad, baked beans, veggie dippers
Friday: pizza, bean burrito, chicken dipper salad, mixed vegetables, salad